Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Project

You've convinced me!!  I'm using up the remaining burlap fabric.  After all, this is all practice and fun.  I have been experimenting with drawing my own patterns.  I haven't scanned them in yet.  The scanner is at work and in another room.  Hard to justify leaving 26 fifth graders to go scan a rug pattern. ; )  So, I sketched up this little Valentine pattern.  I think I might have enough "on hand" wool to go ahead on this.  If you recall, getting more wool depended on the bills...well, let's just say I need to hold off.  So, thrifty hooking here I come.

You can see my little adjustments to get it on the grain.  Now...to choose the wool.
The purple is actually my favorite and it was a complete dyeing mistake!  I was dyeing some lovely green, at bit lighter than the green in this picture, when I decided to add the crazy hot pink on the right to the pot.  Not the best choice if you are going for the green, but the result was a more muted pink (if you can call it that) and this great purple.  I was trying to overdye a lighter gray with the green.  I do love to discover these little dyeing surprises, though.  It is kind of like unwrapping a present. 


Here are a couple of different hues thrown in.  Remember, I don't have any other light color wool at the moment to overdye...so I'll see what happens with these.  In any event, it's nice to look forward to a new rug project.  My last rug was a sheep (or maybe a weird rabbit).  I got it in a large lot of rug hooking stuff on ebay.  The previous owner hooked the sheep.  I added the back legs, the background, and the border.  I actually dyed the wool for the border.  I just need to find some backing fabric because I think it would make nice rounded pillow.  Here he is:
So, that's all from me tonight.  I am really enjoying all this blogging.  It's so nice to read all the encouraging comments and see what everyone else is doing out there!
Ta for now!
Courtney

4 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Your colors are wonderful and I think it makes you grow as a color planer to use what you have and how to place it.
cahty

Gayle said...

I think it's GREAT that you're going to hook that rug with what you have on hand instead of buying wool especially for that project. I think it will turn out just fine!

Joanne said...

You go girl - it's always good to use what you have - you have happy accidents that way! I rarely color plan a rug - just sit and whatever "floats my boat" at the moment!

Cathy G. said...

I love your hand drawn pattern! I think that gives a rug a very distinct look. I'm glad you are having fun experimenting right off the bat too! The more you try things the less frightened of dyeing! I have many many mistakes all the time and I just dye over it! In fact I have one piece of some stuff I have over dyed at least 6 times now and it is still the ugliest stuff! Have fun and keep hooking!
Cathy G