I began my little Valentine's mat yesterday. We did have another snow day, which was nice...you just can't think too much about the days you'll have to make up in June!
The poor little bird's beak is a bit smushed, but that's ok. I like purple, but it isn't really in the color scheme of my home. So, I got the great idea to give it to my darling sister-in-law because purple is her absolute favorite color. I was able to get quite a bit hooked. Nothing like a full day to oneself to indulge.
I also married some wool in the stew pot. I love doing that. It isn't as labor intensive as dragging out all the dyes and you can get some fun results. The purples and pink in this rug were the happy result of experiment #1.
You can see some of them there mixed with a bit of gray plaid. I also grabbed all my yellows and threw them together for experiment #2.
They are richer than they look. The greenish one was a weird taupy brown. They'll make a nice background.
If you haven't already checked out Verde Farm, head on over! Their farm is such fun with miniature donkeys, a stunning Pig, and chickens galore. In fact, they have a new chicken coop and they are holding a contest to "name that coop". There are some wonderful entries and it's fun to stretch the brain a bit. There's a prize for the winner. You'll see details of the drawing on her blog.
That's it for me today. I've talked hubby into antiquing and then cozying up in front of the fireplace, with a nice sirloin steak for dinner! Might have to make brownies for dessert.
Cheers!
Courtney
Friday Freebie Image: Oct 2
5 hours ago
6 comments:
Love the colors you got here--the yellow/taupy ones are really nice and of course the pink and purple are impossible not to love. Thank you so much for sharing my link today. I am going to post the prize later today--it’s so cute-I think it will be a hit :)
Hi Courteny, marrying wool is such an easy way of getting some great colors without the expense of using dyes.I love marrying colors and by the look of,it you do too.
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. The new grandson is now home. JB
I love those sweet colors. I don't do enough of the marrying and dyeing.When my daughter's school has a snow day they make it up on a Sat. She hates it. She teaches also.
Cathy
Courtney ~
Welcome to blogland! You are off to a great start. Love the little mat you are hooking. I am not a purple person, but it looks wonderful in your rug.
Your wool looks great. I've not tried marrying or dyeing wool. It is on my VERY long to do list.
Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog!
My first comment seems to have gotten lost in blogland, so I hope you don't get a duplicate later.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
P.S. Find any treasure antiquing? That is one of my favorite pasttimes :)
Hi Courtney,
yeah ... another spinner! I love my Ashford traditional wheel ... right now I'm waiting for shearing season to start spinning again. I just LOVE it. And what part of MA.do you live? We lived in Royalston MA. on the N.H border. COLD up there!
Are you teaching yourself rug hooking or are you taking classes? At any rate your rug looks wonderful!
I'm gonna close with stay warm ... LoL
Teri♥♥♥
Post a Comment