We had another mini storm today here in MA. It started with snow, then changed to rain. We have so much snow now and it is saturated with water. My Honda got me home from work ok, chugging up the big hills in my city. I did 20 miles an hour going up...but I made it.
I teach 5th grade and the kids were a wee bit distracted watching the big flakes come down. It didn't start raining until close to dismissal time. It's hard to do bar graphs when sledding calls.
Personally, I'd rather be home in front of the fire spinning. Here's some pictures of my latest yarn.
From roving to skein! This is a Border Leicester Mohair Kid mix. I love the yellow flecks peeping through. This was great to spin up. I'll make another skein tonight--or at least get started on it.
This is a merino. I actually can spin merino now! ; ) I'm so proud! I love this yarn. It has some pink and green running through it. I have enough to do another skein of this as well. I don't love how fast it runs through my fingers while spinning, though. I like a bit of a bite to the wool.
I traced two rug hooking patterns last night onto netting. I only have burlap, not linen, and I'm learning that linen is a better bet if I want my rugs to stand the "test of time". I don't have the perfect wool for either of them, and that will have to wait until I pay the bills. Until then, dreaming and planning.
Cheers!
Courtney
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What wonderful color. It is so deep and rich.
Linen is better but if you are doing small pieces bulap is fine lets face it the rugs we are finding are 100 years old or more. They were made to be used.
Can't wait to see your new rug project.
Cathy
HI Courtney! Oh my goodness - love your wool! Incredible! Hey burlap will last our lifetime - I've used the scottish burlap which hooks just fine but the other stuff I get big red welts from (allergic) but what are you gonna do
HI Courtney, I have two shetland sheep. I am excited to have them sheered this spring and see what I can do with the fiber. I want to learn this wonderful skill. Your yarn is gorgeous. I can’t say I blame the little ones-I would be distracted myself. My mom was a 5th grade teacher too :)
Your yarn looks great!
You've become a very good spinner in a short time.
Burlap will be fine if the rug is not going to get wet. I've never had the experience, but burlap supposedly will fall apart if it gets wet too often. If it's going to get hard use, the linen would be best.
Hi Courtney,
Welcome to Blogland! I LOVE the name of your blog! I'm so happy to meet a fellow fiber artist! Your spinning looks wonderful! Someday I want to learn....... ahhh so many things to learn! You are in good company here reading the rug hooking blogs. You'll learn a lot of tips. I learned to hook on burlap and if you can find a good quality it is great to hook on! I don't pay any attention to the longevity part. It's whatever we want to hook on and most importantly that we are hooking!
Looking forward to following you on your fiber arts journey!
Cathy G
Post a Comment