The battle is on! I have not one, but perhaps three or four, woodchucks attacking my garden. Do I have a fence? No. Do a have a decent scarecrow? No. I do have a garden angel.
But, as you can see from her expression, she's horrified! They like my lettuce, my Swiss chard, my parsley, my nasturtiums...well, actually, they like everything. I've been spending my days on constant vigil...watching for furry blobs headed up the hill to the salad bar. Any advice is appreciated.
I promised to show you my new rug project. It's a fun pattern designed by Tom McNerny. He hooks in a wide cut (a #10), and I thought I'd try it...but it was too much for my poor hands, and hook, so I went back to a #8 cut. He gave me some color tips and wool (thanks!) and off I went. I am having fun with this. Here's a little peek--or should I say peep!
My biggest challenge has been determining if I will have enough wool for the backgrounds. I didn't have enough blues so I spent the other day dyeing up a batch of Robin's Egg Blue from Vintage Colors by Karen Kahle. I dyed it over white, oatmeal, and a gray check. I have a darker teal plaid that I'm weaving in as I go. The blue/brown in the outside border I got at a hook-in this year and it was the wool I more or less color planned around. I hope it makes it around the whole border, but I can always add more to the outside edge which I'm doing in antique brown. There's a nice big chicken in the center of the rug, which I'll be tackling today, in between guard duty.
Elsewhere in the garden, my butterfly bush is making good on it's promise to bring butterflies to the garden.
Tomatoes are starting to ripen. Hopefully I can keep the varmints away long enough to actually enjoy these.
By the way, is it too late to plant Sweet Annie seeds? I just got a pack and thought I try it by the shed.
Have a lovely day, everyone!
33 comments:
love your garden angel- hope she works- had them and they are back- never ending battle,
Karen
I know a barking dog helps! If you don't have one can you take care ( a friends) of one for a day or two. My grand dog rat terrier chases everything away and they don't come back for weeks.When I see critters coming around again we go get her:0)
How else do you use your swiss chard and do you let it grow very big?
Love your pictures!
Good Luck
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Sorry, the devil made me do it. I had a similar problem with rabbits, but dearly love them but they liked my garden when I had one.
Love your rug and can't wait to see the whole thing.
Saundra
I can't wait to have more than a peep at your rug! The colors look yummy.
One of my blog friends has used moth balls to deter bunnies. I 've also heard of using human hair to deter animals. I don't know if either works with woodchucks.
They are pesky and destructive little beasts! Please make sure that they do not start burrowing under your buildings because they will undermine the foundations with their tunnels.
A fence might help, but they are very good climbers for such chubby slow-moving creatures
You know that I'm an animal lover and hate to resort to drastic measures, but sometimes it needs to be done.
Can't wait to see the rest of the rug. Lovely colors so far!
I don't know what a wood chuck looks like. Can you chase them down with your camera?
Your rug is lovely! The colors are so pleasing!
Sorry to hear about the woodchucks. We have 3 dogs and they have moved ours away to the neighbors homes....they have killed a couple this year. You might need to borrow a dog for a week and see if it will go away. Good luck. The rug is wonderful. LIsa
Oh I am so sorry about the woodchucks. It sounds like our house except skunks. The skunks wait until I get a ripe tomato and then they eat it right on the vine.
Your rug is wonderful, I like it very much. Even 8 is hard on my hands. I have had to go back to 6 because my hands just can't take it. Isn't that terrible. :) I hope you have a lovely day.
Hi Courtney,
Your new rug looks wonderful! I hope your wool holds out for the finish you want! Love the way you are combining the wools for the background!
How nice of you to plant a garden for the woodchucks...LOL! They are destructive little creatures and hard to know how to deter them.... maybe just plant a huge enough garden to feed them and you too!
Can't wait to see your rug in full view!!
Hugs!!!
Cathy G
No advice from me, critters rule here no matter what I do.
Love your chicks, hope to see the finished rug, love the colors!
It would be great if you took off your word verifiction, just asking, this makes my 6th attempt to commment. Don't know about anyone else, but I can't read googles crazy words.
I think that Cathy and I have the same sense of humour as I thought , How nice of you to feed those pesky creatures from your freshly grown vegetables.
I love that garden angel. Maybe she's bringing her furry friends in the garden.
Happy hooking. I haven't hooked at all these past few weeks. I've been too busy on the farm.
Hugs. JB
lol! Your garden angel definitely looks horrified! lol! As long as the tomatoes are up higher than the chucks can stand... then they are OK. I did not plant any tomatoes this year because the squirrels would climb right up the plants and eat all the tomatoes. Rug looks great!
So happy to see you're back to your hooking Courtney and it looks like it's going to be a wonderful rug. Tom's patterns are awesome aren't they??? Not to mention his hooking, it's beautiful!!! You'll probably never win over those woodchucks, but maybe a fence would work??? Then they'd probably dig under the fence to get into the garden!!! Hope you win that battle. Great to see a post from you!!!
hugs
cyndi
When you figure out how to get rid of them, please let us know, Courtney. Have a lot of problems with critters eating everything insight here. Maybe because it's so dry they are looking for some nice moist green things? Your rug looks great!
Love your chicks on the rug!! I planted sweet annie late and it was fine and came back the next year.
Love that garden angel but the look on her face is priceless. I can almost hear her saying "oh no, here they come again".
The new rug looks really great. I'm anxious to see more.
I had a porcupine that was doing the same thing to my flower gardens one night I put a radio out, he came back someone said put hot sauce on the leaves, He loved it,So I was spiceing up his meal and giving him music to eat by I will not tell you what happened to him. but he is not eating anyone's garden any more.
Good luck maybe try a radio.
cathy
Courtney ~
Love that garden angel and your rug is lookin' mighty fine!
Hugs :)
Lauren
So funny but I'm sorry, I've not dealt with Woodchucks before :( I'm hoping you start scoring though!
~Christina
Hi Courtney, We have woodchucks too. Don't know how to get rid of them except for having a dog around. Your butterfly bush looks great. Love the colors in the peep rug. I would like to try #10 strips in a rug. Loved Tom's rugs at the hook-in. Take care.
Hi Courtney,
Your rug looks great....love Tom's designs. I am also working on one of his patterns....first time with wide cut for me as well. A new hook for wide cut has really helped. Did you know that Tom is teaching a wide cut class at Camp Wool? I'm looking forward to it.
As for your woodchucks....we had to call "The Creature Catcher" when we had them. They were tunneling under our stone walls.Now deer are snacking on my perennials...always something!
Hope you are enjoying this time of R&R from school.
Cindy in ME
*****greetings...so far it is looking very,very nice! the garden angel is wonderful...and i have two
new patterns to send to you next
week. hope you like them and you will have something going all summer! i will work with you on a larger strip...how about a 9 cut?
til then....................tom
Thank you so much for visiting me.
I love your garden angel, eventhough she doesn't scare away the birds ; ) Your rug looks wonderful. I have never seen things made like that. I don't think we know that kind of textile craft here in The Netherlands.
Have a wonderful weekend.
I know nothing about woodchucks, but sure hope you get rid of them. The rug looks great...looking forward to seeing all of it.
wonderful garden-angel.great rug.
nice blog.
wish you a fab weekend,
regina
My neighbor had a family of four woodchucks in his garden. He put a cage trap to catch them, then relocated them. That did the trick!
I love the rug! Excellent color choice, and the pattern is adorable! Can't wait to see it finished! Have a great weekend...I'm working, unfortunately. Stay cool!
Hugs,
Yvette
Just so you know, I am cheering for your team :) Your poor garden angel...maybe add a few more and a cross;) She obviously needs some back- up.
The project looks so sweet and the toms. and butterfly bush all look great.
Thanks for reminding me about the Sweet Annie seeds, I wanted to try sowing some myself.
Kendra
Hi Courtney, thats to bad about the woodchucks eating everything. Love the blues in the sweet little rug, nice work. The Butterfly bush is so pretty,Blessings Francine.
smoke bombs in the hole then cover with dirt.
when that doesn't work, I turn the dogs loose and they kill them.
Try moth balls. They keep everything else away, they might just work!
Your rug is lovely! You know the peeps have my heart!
Ooh.. another beautiful rug... of course, I love chickens! No advice on the seeds. My garden has been tended but not much seed planting this year (because I wasn't early and I'm fuzzy on the whens too).
Blessings, Debbie
I was watering my tomatoes and kept hearing little squeaky sounds ....not sure but I think something has left their. "babies." under the mulch...there.'s little bits of fur around the plant.
Having some trouble with blight too. I love the rug especially your colors!
Our tomatoes are not even that big or even turning pink! Love your garden angel, though - maybe she'll scare the varmints with her look of horror!
Post a Comment