Friday, June 22, 2012

Way Overdue!!

I could get into a long list of excuses.  I could apologize...again.  I could make up whopping good stories of how I was abducted by aliens.  But, I'll spare you all that and just get a blooming post on this poor blog!

School is finally over.  Well, actually it's been over for a week, but Mr. S & W has been home on vacation, so I've been hanging out with him.  We've been having our first mini heat wave and I now remember how much I don't like hot weather.  After today, we're back in the 70s and 80s.

I'm so glad to be off from work.  We've been walking in the mornings, then I water the garden.  I've been having a ball picking salad greens, radishes, and peas for our nightly meal.
I've got strawberries, peas, onions, zucchini, cukes, lettuce, swiss chard, lots of tomatoes, beets, carrots, peppers, beans, and lots of herbs.  The chard is great...just keeps producing.  I love it sauteed in olive oil then tossed with golden raisins and toasted pine nuts.  Yum!

I planted a large David Austin rose called Falstaff.  It is a dark reddish/purple and smells wonderful.  It doesn't love this heat, though.


I have nothing on the rug frame right now.  Shame on me!  I did finish the spiral chair pad from Karen Kahle's blog.  I used the crocheted strip method around the edge.  I discovered (again) that I don't really like to crochet.  I can't get a good rhythm going.  I do like the finish though.



I have some new yarn on the wheel.  A co-worker of mine has a General Store and Ice-Cream shop nearby and asked if I'd like to sell my yarn in her shop for the summer.  So, I closed the Etsy shop for the time being and I'll try to sell a bit with her.  

As soon as the heat breaks...I'm starting a new rug.  Stay tuned.

24 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Nice to see you! Looks like you have a creative summer ahead.

Cathy G. said...

Courtney,
Welcome back! Your garden looks fantastic! And the spiral rug is as well!
Can't wait to see what's on your frame next!
Hugs!!
Cathy G

Farm Girl said...

Your garden looks wonderful!!! You have done such a nice job. So glad you are having a break in the heat. Your chair pad turned out really nice.
I hope you sell lots of yarn. Well I am glad you are doing fun things right now, you need it. :)
I look forward to seeing what ever your next project is, but most just seeing you. :)
Have a lovely weekend!

Julia said...

Wow Courtney, I'm some impressed with your gardening skills.

My garden isn't all planted yet except for weeds. Nothing ready to eat as I planted so late this year because of sheer exhaustion.

I'm just slowly commenting on a few blogs here and there and haven't blogged yet on my page.

Have a great weekend. Hugs. Jb

Rowan said...

Sounds as though you've just been busy with life - blogs just have to take a back seat sometimes:) Hope you make some sales of your yarn during the summer.

Dreaming said...

Nice to see you back in cyberland. Your garden looks so lush. I have garden envy!
At the last hook-in I attended one of the ladies was showing another how to do the crocheted edge. I want to make chair pads and put a braided edge around them. Their is a braiding club/group in the area, so some time I'll have to visit them.
Enjoy your summer!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Welcome back Courtney, I have missed your blog posts. Your vegetable garden looks amazing, the David Austin rose is such a pretty color, are your garden's bothered by Japanese Beetles? I noticed my first beetle today, I despise them. Your spiral hooked mat came out lovely, very festive. Hope you are enjoying this hot, humid summer day. BTW did you get chickens? Hugs, Julie.

TheCrankyCrow said...

So good to hear from you Courtney....I know what it's like just trying to keep up....Popped in and saw I missed a few posts of yours.....like the one with that "critter." What the HECK is that? Doesn't look like any woodchuck I've ever seen in these parts. Looks part baboon! Your garden looks amazing! So, another talent on your very long list..... Your spiral mat turned out wonderful too. I have something on my frame - but it's the same thing that's been there almost a year. (Could it really be that long???) Just not finding my hooking mojo lately. Did do a little punch thing, and started a new stitchery, but nary a loop pulled of late. Hope you have a great weekend - and can start enjoying your summer now that school is over. Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Saundra P said...

I tried posting earlier but guess I didn't do something right with the identify thing at the bottom so this time I'll copy what I type in case it doesn't work again ~ that way I won't have to reconstruct the whole message again.

Anyway, glad you're back because I missed you. What a beautiful bountiful garden you have, I'm envious. But since I have acidic sandy soil plus live in the woods there wouldn't be enough sunlight for many hours of the day to nourish a garden.

We've had temps in the upper 90's and with humidity have reached the 'feel like' of over 100 so I'd take your 70's and 80's right now and boy do we need rain.

Saundra

jan said...

Hi Courtney, Glad to see you are back. Very hot and humid here in Mass. also. Storms are comimg through now. Garden looks great. The rabbits are after mine. Take care. Jan

Jacque. said...

So happy to see you, Courtney and, I must say...your garden looks like a salad all ready to go! Fun! Best wishes with your yarn sales.

acorn hollow said...

your garden looks great we started late so we are behind the times.
sooo good to see you post. I am with you I do not like that kind of heat.
your rug looks great.
enjoy your summer.
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Courtney ~
So good to hear from you!
Your garden looks amazing. How I long for garden fresh tomatoes.
The spiral mat came out great! I want to hook one of those too. God knows I have enough woolly worms!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Kim said...

Wow, your garden looks amazing. I can't believe how big the plants are already. Mmmm, I can almost taste the fresh veggies.

Chicken Wrangler said...

No use making excuses - Just post when ya can - like I do!!! Nice garden, by the way!

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love your garden!! The chair pad is beautiful!! Hope your yarn flies off the shelves!!

moosecraft said...

Good to hear from you Courtney! Sounds like you've had some good relaxing week off after a new school schedule! Enjoy your Summer and all those great veggies and herbs!

Kendra said...

The garden is looking good, looks like you should have a wonderful harvest.

The chair pad turned out wonderful. I have one I am working on right now too but it is slow going and I am a one night project person, I need quick results, so the chair pad is on the back burner for now.

I understand about the blogging slow down, it seems as if my summer has been busier that my school year, it's crazy!

Hope all is well,
Kendra

Mugwump Woolies said...

So glad to see you back, Courtney! Your spiral mat is great...so very colorful! Hope you are enjoying your summer so far. Isn't the last day of school just the best?
Robyn

Yvette in R.I. said...

Courtney, your garden is beautiful, the chair pad came out wonderfully, and the yarn you spin is to die for! I can't wait to spin that well! I got a kick spindle today in the mail. I can hardly wait to try it. I sold two rugs on etsy, so bought the spindle as my prize...LOL! Even if it wasn't rug money, I can really come up with GOOD excuses to pacify my hubby. He knows I'm full of baloney, but he's learned to let me win. I love your hedgehog neighbor! How the heck did you get such a great picture? I'm so happy you have time off now that summer is here!
Hugs!
Yvette

My Colonial Home said...

Morning Courtney,
THANKS FOR VISITING MY BLOG THIS MORNING AND LEAVING A COMMENT.

It has been ages for me here - I haven't been in cyber space as of late but hopefully feeling better gives me more desire to do more...love that feeling!

It is horribly hot here - 90++ and supposed to get into the 3 digets by the weekend. YIKES...72 - 75 is my temp...nothing higher.
Today is also humid. Good day to stay inside.

Your garden goodies are producing great. How fortunate you are to be able to grow them so nicely...we have shade...NO GARDEN!

Beautiful rug chair pad. I'm finished with my very first one but do not know how to bind it..any suggestions???

Blessings,
Karen

Tammy Burks said...

I'm not much of a knitter, but that yarn is beautiful!
Your garden looks lush and abundant! Everything here is dry as cracklin's!

catkin tales said...

what a lovely post. your rug is beautiful and i am very impressed with your salad crop, it looks very lively considering the heat you've been having. i don't enjoy it when it's too hot either.
i do love david austin roses and your falstaff looks divine!

wishing you a cooler week xx

Thistle Cove Farm said...

So glad you've got a fabulous summer planned; hope you're able to keep cool as well.
Happy July 4th to you and yours!