Well I am truly always a day late! And I apologize for that, but you try spending eight hours with 19 eight year olds and then we'll talk! ~grin~ Some days I come home, and I have all I can do to get dinner and fall into bed! In the mornings, I have such plans and ideas to get to crafting, draw up a pattern, put a rug project on the frame...or something. Then, I stagger home, and I have nothing left! I have no energy for the holiday...and that's a shame, because I rather like the cookie baking and putting a stack of Christmas cds on the stereo...but now, when I feel like baking, I just lie down until the feeling passes! LOL
I do enjoy heading over to Patrice's porch at Everyday Ruralty for the weekly chat...and I'm thrilled to see more of my blogging friends join in on the fun! Here are the week's questions:
Questions
- Where is your favorite place to think, reflect, or pray? Actually, I pray best in the middle of the night, when I wake (which is frequently). I really try to reconnect to God at that point. I know it works when I finally become calm and the "monkey mind" stops.
- Did you believe in Santa as a kid? Yes, I did. I really don't remember when I stopped believing. I probably played along for a while for my brother. He was four years younger than I was. I had a conversation with a student today about believing...she was in the process of stopping and she wasn't happy about it.
- What's your favorite kind of Christmas cookie? You can add a recipe if you have time. I love all cookies. Actually, if I had a choice, I'd only eat cookies...ok, that's a bit extreme, but you get the idea. I'll attach a good cranberry/pistachio biscotti for you all...a favorite of both my boys!
- Did you grow up around any of your grandparents? I was blessed to have both of my grandmothers. I adored each of them, though they were very different. They were my rocks and my foundations. I think of them so often, chat with them (if they are listening), and cherish all the wonderful memories they gave to me. I lost jewelry from both of them in the past robbery, but I do know that they would tell me it's okay, and I'm trying to just remember them instead of the "stuff".
- What's your favorite winter sport-skiing, skating,sledding, other(?) ? If you are in a warm place, what is your favorite winter sport to watch when the Winter Olympics are televised? Alright, confession time. I'm not big into activity. Yeah, I had times as a gym rat...and I have loved hiking and such...but I love creature comforts much more. I'm joining Kim from Millie's Mats by the fire at the lodge. Let's put it this way, last time I skiied, my boots laced...(go ahead...you can giggle).
Have a wonderful evening!!
Here's the recipe! Try it...it's fabulous!
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
Makes about 3 dozen
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter a large heavy baking sheet.
2. In a food processor, combine the flour with 1 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt. Process for a few seconds to blend. Add the dried cranberries and process until coarsely chopped. Add the butter and vanilla. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add the pistachios and eggs and pulse 10 time to blend. ( I let it go until it forms a ball) Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse 5 times, just until the dough is evenly moistened.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough itno 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 8 inch log. Transfer the logs to the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each. With your hands, flatten the logs to a width of 2 inches and sprinkle with the remiaing 1 teaspoon of sugar. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Using a metal spatula, transfer the logs to a rack to firm up slightly, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Transfer the logs to a work surface. Using a sharp knife and a quick single motion, slice each log on the diagonal into 1/2 inch pieces. Return the biscotti to the baking sheet, cut sides down, and bake just until the first hint of golden brown appears, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool.
Enjoy!
These are as addictive as pistachios....you can't eat just one!
28 comments:
Your cookies sounds great. I have been baking and eating too much for sure.
I eat when David doesn't I just wish I could transfer the fat to him.
Cathy
Recipe sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
I'm like you ~ wait for it to pass, maybe it will be done when I wake from a nap!!!
I also would like to apply for an extension ~ do you know where we can get one???
Here's hoping you get everthing accomplished!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin
Mmm...thanks for the recipe. I love biscotti but I don't drink coffee any more and that's when they're best. But since I rarely - almost never - eat cookies any more I'll just dream that coffee tastes the way it smells and dunk a virtual biscotti.
Thanks for the recipe. I'm a major cranberry lover! They would be great with a nice cup of tea, too.
I can only imagine what it's like dealing with eight year olds all day. I wouldn't last an hour. Fifteen minutes??? Nope!
Nowdays teachers should be given sainthood!
I used to volunteer at the boys school and one day a week with a classroom of eight-year-olds was pretty tough, can't imagine 5 days a week, every year. The farmhouse porch questions are very interesting. I'll file away your cookie recipe for next year. Finished baking for this year and have given them all away. Thank goodness!
I wonder why I never tried making Biscotti before. The recipe sounds good. I have many recipes but never made them. I'm not trying too many new things for Christmas as the kids like to keep to the old traditions when they come home. They will usually introduce something new though just to show off lol.
I guess there's not too many of us who like to ski or skate in the cold. We are beginning to show our age I think. lol...
It was fun to listen to your chat while Wendell was whispering in my ear," What a sweet thing that Courtney is" He was even drooling on my shoulder. JB
I always love reading your answers. That poor girl in your class who is in the process of giving up the believing. Such a hard time I think.
You always have the nicest recipes.
I always enjoy all of your posts.
The biscotti sounds wonderful and I bet you are tired after a day at school with a roomful of kids. Your grandparents sounded kind. Hugs Cheri
Rest when you can! You will make it, the recipe sounds very good!
The recipe sounds yummy.I will have to try it soon. Hope that you are having a great evening.Hugs,Jen
That recipe sounds sooooo good! Only wish I had a food processor....(Am I the only person on this earth that doesn't have a food processor or a dish washer???) I love biscotti, pistachios, and cranberries....oh what am I missing??? And I think we should do a group petition for an extension for Christmas....What d'ya say??? ;o) Love these chats....Wishing you a wonderful Thursday....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin
It sounds like there will be quite a few of us gathered around that fireplace in the Lodge. Wouldn't we have fun? Lol
Courtney ~
I'll join you and Kim at the lodge :)
Tell Robin I don't have a dishwasher or food processor, either...lol!
I am behind, too, but it is the story of my life. I still have 2 hooked rugs to finish and bind...one by this weekend and the other needs to be mailed. Ack! I'm in trouble!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
Aren't cookies one of the basic food groups?When I wake up in the middle of the night for no reason that I'm aware of, I assume God wants to have a talk. It has become a wonderful time and I love to pray for others then. I'm so glad you posted a recipe!:) I love cranberries It sounds great. All that after being around all those kids- I'm impressed! :)
Have a great week!
Courtney
I love biscotti-any kind!
My physical activities are the occasional hike too. grin
I can see where you would be pretty worn out with your busy schedule. But it's really best just to go with the flow. You don't want to get worn out before
Christmas!
Kimberly
Your whole first paragraph is the same schedule here... frustrating, because when I wake in the morning I am so full of ambition... then, by 9pm I can't keep my eyes open... then it all gets squished into a jam-packed weekend! :-)
Hi Courtney, your biscotti sounds wonderful! I was just over at April's Homemaking and she had a great recipe for cranberry orange donuts. My husband is going to flip when I try these recipes, he loves cranberry anything and will travel for miles just get a taste of a cranberry bagel!
I loved reading your answers to the interview questions. Two of my grandparents died before I was born and my grandmother when I was 4, but my other grandpa Mike and I were as close as could be. He was my buddy and chief partner in crime. No matter how old I grew, I don't think we ever walked anywhere together where we were not holding hands. I hope you have a wonderful day ahead and get caught up on your rest soon. I can't imagine the energy you must expend everyday with all those little ones. No wonder you are so good and tired at the end of the day! :) Delisa :)
Holy cow! This receipt sounds wonderful! Yummers...
Things will calm down. I don't know how you do it. I am worn out when I teach only two days a week... and my kids are a lot older! LOL
Hope you get some rest and have some hooking time! Sending you good thoughts!
I love biscotti but have never been successful at making it myself. Maybe 2012 will be the year I succeed at biscotti :)
You and I are so alike, who would want to go outside when they could stay in and craft/bake/vegetate :) Hope you can get some sleep, my doc helped me in that area and it's given me a whole new lease on life.
Hugs,
Mary
And I loooooove your header picture, just perfect!
Mary
Mercy...you deserve to be exhausted! For the Christmas hols, I'm taking care of my friend's three children; it's going to be *real*. They are high energy so am thinking of things to do that will keep us all busy and happy. I'm thinking the afternoon quiet time will be good for me...I mean US!
Merry Christmas.
Hello,
Love biscotti! I believe we have made these before! Love their taste and color! I have enjoyed my visit and reading your post! I am happy to be your newest follower,
Kathy
I'm laughing about the lace-up ski boots comment. Yup....until I tried skiing again, about 10 years ago, my memories were leather boots - with laces (although, to be honest, my very last pair had lace inner boots and a buckle outer layer!
Thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious...anything with cranberries for me! I vote for an extension, too...
Hi Courtney...I love the answers you gave...very interesting.
I can imagine being drained after being with that age group. Like channeling 'ants' to do something...lol But they are so sweet and eager to learn aren't they?
Thanks so much for visiting my blog...I always enjoy seeing you there.
Blessings, Merry Christmas,
Karen
Happy Birthday Courtney. I hope that you are treated extra special today even though it is so close to Christmas. I hope that you get lots of presents.
I wish you the Merriest Christmas ever. Hugs. JB
Cranberry pistachio biscotti sounds divine! Can't wait to try the recipe. Thank you for sharing it!
Post a Comment