Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Counting My Chickens...

I am literally having a "freaking out" type of week!  I told you that we're listing our house.  We will have our first open house on Sunday afternoon.  The realtor emailed the photos today and they look great...I'd buy the place all over again. ~grin~  But, moving is part of a different kind of dream for us.

For the past several years, hubby and I have wanted to be in the country and have a bit of land and privacy.  So, we thought, and thought, and realized that if we don't act soon, we'll be too old to really enjoy that kind of property.  We're looking for a smaller home with some acreage.  I am actually petrified, because for me it means changing my job!  I've been in the same school for the last seven years, and I'm totally dug in!  My team and I work really well together and I have many friends there.

I still could teach...but I need to find a post up in Maine.  I've been scouting out jobs and there are some available.  But, I'd forgotten what a process it is to actually apply to be a teacher!  They have you drowning in paperwork.  I think it might be easier to take out papers to run for President!  So, I vacillate between excitement and full on fear.  That's probably the norm! LOL  To distract myself, I have purchased the following:
One of my goals is to have chickens in the new place.  I have many more goals, but I'll save them for later!

I have a really nice student who raises chickens, and he and I have been putting our heads together to talk poultry.  He just got some new chicks.  He let me name one of them!  I was so touched.  Anyway, I lent him the Chick Days book and he came back to me, telling me he just learned he could eat his chickens, too!  That shocked him a bit!  So cute!

Still binding my cat rug.  I just opted for a black binding tape and then I'll whip around the exposed edge with a dark brown homespun yarn I made.  Since I'm up in the middle of the night with life change anxiety, I'm able to work on my rug quite a bit! ;-)
That's all for me right now...looking forward to going to my first hook-in on Saturday and to meeting Cathy from Acorn Hollow!
Cheers!
Courtney

17 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Courtney ~
I'm sure all you are dealing with is very scary but also very exciting. Try not to lose too much sleep.
Have a WONDERFUL time at the hook-in and be inspired!!!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Kim said...

Have fun at your hook-in and meeting Cathy. It is so much fun to meet other bloggers.
Change can be scary but think how much fun a new adventure will be. It will all come together and once you are settled you will wonder what the fuss was all about!

Gayle said...

HI Courtney - How exciting to be planning such a huge change in your life by moving! We've been in our home for 30 years - and hubby has had the same job that entire time - so I'm not sure if we'd ever be up to such a switch.

Have fun at the hook-in on Saturday - it will be fun to meet Cathy - and don't forget to take lots of pictures to share for us!

Teri said...

Hi Courtney,
It is very scary ... the unknown ... but you can't grow, if you don't spread your wings. So go on and fly!
Can't wait to see your finished kitty ... And no I have not found a cutter yet.
Have a great time at your hook-in.
Teri♥♥♥

weaverpat said...

I hope the job hunting goes well. Both of your new undertakings are loaded with paperwork, getting a new job and buying and selling a home. Not fun but a necessary evil.
Zip and I had chickens in our younger days. Now we're too old and lazy to haul the buckets of water out to the shed! The fresh eggs are the best ever!
Hope you have a delightful time at your hook-in.

acorn hollow said...

Well I think you are amazing for taking the leap. We talk and talk about it. we would love to be closer to our daughter. My husband is retiring from teaching this year but I will remain working for years to come. I like my job and do not want to give it up. It is one of those jobs that there is no other job like it. I can not wait to meet you either.I am looking forward to this weekend just girl time
see you soon
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Isn't change a funny thing? Finding myself looking for jobs at this point in my life is a strange experience - and one I'm not comfortable with. Part of it is knowing what I DON'T want to deal with anymore...and the other is just the "WEIRD" part of life today. After 25+ years as an attorney (and actually teaching law)and just wanting to "simplify," I find I'm not "qualified" to be a paralegal...Huh?? What's up with that??!!
Anywaywhohow...Love the chicken idea! We have a neighbor who is a chicken "nut." A year or so ago, we actually babysat her chicken "Carlos." I tried to teach him to "cock-a-dooodle-do" in Spanish...but he didn't take to it too much. My DH almost had me committed after that episode! Smiles - hang in there and trust in yourself!! Robin

Julia said...

Courtney, I'm so excited that you two are going to meet at a hook-in. It's so much fun meeting a blogger friend. When I met Kim it was totally by accident but it was awesome.

You will do great in your new job because you are a great teacher and I'm sure that you will have great references. Changing home can be exciting because of everything will be new to you. Have fun at your hook-in. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Courtney, You have a million things on your mind but what an adventure.Chickens are fun to have,Cheri

Cathy G. said...

Hi Courtney,
I just got back online tonight after a computer monitor melt down here!
It sounds like you are going through quite a bit of excitement and change right now! It sounds like the time is right for you and your Hubby! Go for it and live your dreams. Maybe a few sheep to keep those chickens company too!
Have fun at the hook-in and say Hi to Cathy for me ( the Orange Sink Cathy)! LOL!
Cathy G

The Barn Door said...

How exiting that all sounds!! Although, I admit, change of any kind is not my forte and I would be freaking out too! I'm sure it will all go smoothly and be a dream come true!

Jacque. said...

Hey Courtney. Sounds like you have a huge adventure coming up. How exciting...and daunting, I know. And, keeping chickens? That'll be a very interesting activity for you. Plus...fresh eggs! Hang in there, it'll all work out for the good.

Jen Kershner said...

Good for you for following your dreams! I'm sure it will be scary and overwhelming at times but worth it in the end. Good luck selling your house!

Linda said...

Hi Courtney....I am glad that you found my blog!
I think it is so exciting for you to be planning this move. You are so right, do it while you can.
I am hoping to go to a hook-in someday. I am getting so "hooked" on this whole rug hooking adventure.
Linda

Melaine said...

Go for it Courtney. The country and its wide open spaces are the place to be. Embrace your new adventure. P.S. Fresh farm eggs are the best.
Melaine

Kathy (woolfind) said...

How exciting for you Courtney! The unknown is a bit scary, but take it by the horns and just enjoy this part of your next journey in your life with your husband. I think it's wonderful!It already sounds like you are making plans with the chickens. How cool!
Have a wonderful time at your hook in. Hope you post pic's and tell us all about it!

Tracy said...

Courtney,
I'm sorry you are having that kind of week, but like you said on my post; even those kinds of weeks are a what encompass life. I'll tell you what happened to us...my husband and I met in NC. After 10 years we moved to Ohio for me to complete my masters degree at OSU...after 11 years we had similar thoughts that you and your husband, we wanted to head back to NC but if we waited, life would pass us by...so we said, Life is too short and if we have dreams and desires, we just need to do it and we did! We are thankful and well, I hope you just do it and keep looking forward!
hugs Courtney...