Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's a Viol da Gamba?

Last week, I mentioned in one of my posts that I play the viol da gamba, or the viola da gamba, as it's sometimes called.  It's a bowed, fretted, stringed instrument developed in the 15th century.  It was used mostly in the Renaissance and Baroque periods.  It's a beautiful instrument, and though tuned and fretted like a guitar, there are sizes, like the violin family. 
When I was in college, I played the violin (still do actually).  I was essentially a music minor and took an Early Music class for our six week short term.  Since I was already a string player, the professor talked me into learning the tenor viol.  I was sold immediately.  It was weird at first to try to balance the instrument between my knees and bow sideways, but I did eventually get it.  I played in small consorts with that professor and another professor from a neighboring college. 

I'd been borrowing instruments from the college for about a year, when I knew I'd be leaving school soon.  My dear Grandmother gave me $2,400 to buy myself a car for graduation.  This is what I bought instead:
My Scottish Grammy was not thrilled! 

My treble viol was made by Linda Shortridge who used to be up in Phippsburg, Maine.  The finger board and tail piece are made of pear wood.  It's very light.  Many viols have scrolls carved into faces or heads.  Mine is just decorative.
Sadly, my little gamba is sick.  The top string has worn out the wood in the tailpiece and pulled right through it.  So, I'm looking at a pretty serious repair, which will be fairly costly.
Someday, when I'm feeling flush, I'll get it fixed.  I last played about 3 or 4 years ago with a couple of other people.  It's beautiful in consort with other viols.  Here's a sampling.  Wish I could say that I was in this, but I can't.  It is the type of music I have played, though.
So, that's my music lesson for today!
Thanks for stopping by!
Courtney

8 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

That's BEAUTIFUL, Courtney! Wow - I'm impressed. You never cease to surprise me! I so wanted to learn the violin when I was younger - actually managed to take 2 or 3 lessons, but, alas, it wasn't in the family budget....Glad you had the opportunity and made good use of it! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

acorn hollow said...

You still have the instrument but you would not still have the car. Sounds so lovely.
cathy

Julia said...

Thanks Courtney. That was so beautiful. I like how the music resonate in my chest. I can feel it when I close my eyes. I bought a cheap violin in 2002 and started learning how to play on a CD and book but after my mastectomy I couldn't lift my arm to play and somehow the violin is still hanging on the wall. Life got busier and busier and new interest creeps in. .JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Oh Courtney, You are so talented! Music is something which speaks to a persons heart.

Cathy G. said...

Beautiful music..... so restful and peaceful! I'm so glad you have the viol Courtney. It is a beautiful work of art. I hope that you can have it repaired one day. It's so interesting learning more about you and your many talents! Interesting that you chose the viol over the car at such a young age! You followed your heart! That's very inspiring!
Sweet Blessings!
Cathy G

dulcy said...

Courtney.... I love this post! How interesting, and what beautiful music.... I hope you're able to get the repairs you need done in the near future. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog. Love hearing from you!
xo
dulcy
p.s. Love your banner!

Joy Tilton said...

I agree with Cathy...you still have a valuable instrument and the car most likely wouldn't even run! Thanks so much for adding me on your reading list, come visit grannymountain often!

brenda said...

Beautiful, the music and the instrument-- what a creative soul you are!