Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sorry, Folks

Hi Everyone!
I've been so bad about posting and commenting in the past few days.  It's been a rather stressful week.  My little Corgi boy has been in and out of the vets this week as they try to determine what's really going on with him.
Last November the vet we were using thought he had Cushings.  So they put him on trilostane.  Things sort of got better.  But, as I realized that he needed more vet care, more often, we decided to switch vets to a practice closer to home, rather than the one he'd been going to since he was a pup.  Long story short, the new vet took another look at the labs and determined that not only does he not have Cushings, he's now Addisonian due to the trilostane.  So, instead, she thinks he has kidney disease.  She doesn't know if it is due to hypertension, but if it is, she can treat that, somewhat.  Only, to know for sure...they would have to do a kidney biopsy. 

So, he goes in on Thursday for blood pressure, and we see where we go from there.  She did say, kindly and respectfully, that generally the prognosis isn't good.  I've been rather a mess, needless to say.  This dog has been my most constant companion for twelve years...through the growing up and moving out of my two children, through relationship changes, and a new marriage (yeah, I'm kind of a newlywed--3 1/2 years) .  If ever a pet was a best friend...Gus is mine. 

So, I hope you all will forgive me for falling off the face of the earth.  I just waded through 5 days of posts and believe me, when you slack off...you miss a lot! ;-)

I'll keep you posted...and I need to try to think positively.  There's nothing set in stone that doom and gloom is approaching.  Gosh, it's funny how strongly pets can make you feel. 

13 comments:

acorn hollow said...

oh gus I hope you feel better. Animals are so important to us and I have spent a fortune to keep my pets with me. winslow homer is getting a lot of care right now over at dog trot farm.
I hope things go well for you.
cathy

Kim said...

Oh I hope things go well for Gus. Our fur-babies are so much more than pets. I spent huge dollars to try and get to the bottom of Millies hair loss. Cushings was suggested but then dismissed.
Good luck

Julia said...

Courtney, I'm so sorry about you furry companion. I know how difficult it can be. I've gone through dogs and cats and decided that it was just too hard to let them go. So now all I have are the calves at the barn and the barn cat but I have to distance myself from attachment. I hope he doesn't have to suffer the poor little thing. I can't stand seeing an animal suffer.

Hugs, JB

weaverpat said...

Courtney, I know how you feel, my cats are my children. How can we not love and worry over them when they are the ones we spend the most time with. They are always faithful and loving and deserve the best we can give.
I will be sending my best thoughts out to you and Gus.
I've had cats with chronic kidney disease and they have lived for several years after diagnosis. Don't give up!

Joanne said...

Courtney - My thoughts and prayers are with you and Gus - I understand what you are going thru and hope you get a good diagnosis. It's so hard since they can't tell us exactly what is wrong.

Jacque. said...

Courtney, no reason to try to justify why you're upset and/or out of sync. I am right there with you. I know all too well. But, hang in there and wait for the final word. You just never know. Will keep you and Gus in my thoughts and prayers.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh Courtney ~ I'm so very sorry to hear this news. I've never met Gus, but he and you will be in my prayers. I know so well how those little critters get bonded to our heartstrings. Their love is so unconditional and perfect, the thought of their pain, discomfort, or loss just rips a hole through you. Take good care friend. My best thoughts are with you both. Robin

Cathy G. said...

Dear Courtney,
I read your post after I sent you an email or I would've sent my prayers and thoughts along then! Boy I know what you are going through! We love them so much it's hard to go through these health problems as they get older. We give them the best we can and they seem to know it too!
Hugs for strength and healing energies for Gus!
Cathy G

The Barn Door said...

Those furbabies....they leave their paw prints all over our hearts. Hoping for the best for you and Gus.
Karen

Doris said...

Courtney, Pleasse don't give up. Corgi's are sturdy little chaps and he probably will surprise you. I am sending postive thoughts and vibes to you and Gus. Keep the faith and he will be fine.
(Moments in Time)

Teri said...

Courtney,
I know only to well that when someone says there is nothing that can be done ... And then out of nowhere you get a big beautiful surprise!
I will be saying doggie prayers for Gus. I also have constant companions.
Keep us posted.
Teri♥♥♥

Unknown said...

I completely understand your love for your pet.
I hope it will be something controllable.
Pets leave those paw prints on our heart.

Joy Tilton said...

So sorry to hear of Gus's struggle and I do understand. Our cocker Ben has cushings and he has improved some since changing his diet and adding Nzymes supplements. Ben is elderly, so we opt for the best quality of life. Our daughter Amy is a vet tech, I don't know how she does it. Loved my visit to your blog and I send a hug :o}
joycee