Oh my, thank you everyone, for all of your kind thoughts about Gus. I took him in today to have his blood pressure checked and they did find it to be high. They took multiple readings to double check. I was only able to see the vet tech, but I said..."that's good, right?" She did agree that the high pressure might be causing the kidney issues. If that's the case, they will medicate. His vet was out until Monday, but the tech said she'd call her or check with another vet in the practice to find out what they wanted to do about medication. So, I'm tentatively feeling more optimistic. He actually seems to be in good shape all things considered--well, smiling and cheerful anyway! Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow.
In the meantime, I've been unsuccessfully trying to distract myself. I did take my students to the pool today...no not the swimming pool, but the vernal pool!
We have a couple of vernal pools behind our school and we teach the vernal pool as a habitat study. First I took the 12 boys. I figured I'd go in shifts and leave 1/2 the class with my teaching assistant. It makes it more personal and manageable. I thought I'd start with the gentlemen and wear them out. They were great. They were so engaged and found several fun things.
Fairy shrimp. (That's the little orange guy on the left)
And their BIG find...a spring peeper. (He's on the right at about 2:00) I wish I could show you pics of the kids. They were climbing over this fallen tree that spanned the pool. It was kid heaven.
The 14 girls went next. They found similar things, but never managed to catch a frog, which made them crazy, especially after I challenged them with the fact the boys had done it. I'm really not beating up our fair ladies. Some of my girls gave it a rousing good go...but I think after the first visit, the amphibians were a bit wiser! They saw frogs, but a few ladies were so noisy, what with squealing every time water went down their boots, that our curious naturalists couldn't make the grab. One gal lost her boot in the middle of the pool and I had to wade in, keeping an eye on the water level vs. my boot height, and fish it out with the net. (Maybe next time I ought to opt for the hip waders!) Each group had about an hour out in the field. I was wiped out...and realized how totally out of shape I really am after trudging around for 2 plus hours in mucking boots through the woods. But it was a great day spent outside!
Courtney
Friday Freebie Image: Oct 2
5 hours ago
13 comments:
Lets hope gus gets some blood pressure meds and he will be stable. fingers crossed.
I remember my daughter going to nature camp for a week when she was in the 5th grade that is their class trip. She told me about licking a banana snail eweeeek
you sound like a fun teacher.
cathy
Oh Courtney, that spring peeper is so tiny it's amazing how noisy they can get at night. I just love the sounds of peepers in the early spring.
You are a terrific teacher, the kids must love being in your class. Next time maybe the girls might want to try a fine net on a long pole to make it easier to catch some peepers and fairy shrimps.
I sure hope that Gus can be medicated, the poor little guy. Kidney problems are not fun at all. Wishing him all the best. Hugs.
JB
Courtney you sound like a great teacher, making things so interesting for the kids.
Hope everything works out for Gus with medication.
Will your school be out before long for the summer. I think our kids only have about 7 or 8 weeks left.
Hi Courtney, How interesting for kids.What a good teacher you are. Nature is so wonderful I hope the vets find out what's up with Gus we sure love our Pets!Cheri
Courtney,
I'm so sorry to hear about Gus and hope he is on the mend. How fun on all your excursions. I remember being little and playing in the creek; we had a ball!
how long will your kids be in school?
thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your thoughts!
Hi Courtney, First I want to comment on your A, B, C's. What a great post! If we could all do that what a better understanding we would have of our blog friends. It was great.
As for Gus, I do hope that he will be OK. We have had several Welsh Corgi's and they are great little guys. Eloise (Jack Russell Terrier) sends her love and best wishes to Gus. Please know that we are sending you good thoughts and good vibes for Gus's health.
I hope Gus continues with optimistic reports. Your little field trip sounds like so much fun. How cool to catch a peeper. It was so tiny. But they are so loud!
That is good news about Gus. Hope they can medicate him and get him back to healthy.
The pond trip sounds like so much fun! I loved slogging in ponds and streams as a child. Oh darn it, I still do!
Courtney ~
Hooray for Gus! I hope he continues to be on the mend. Pug hugs from Peanut coming his way.
Oh, I used to love to play in the creek when I was young ~ a LONG time ago!
Lauren
Courtney,
It sounds promising for Gus and hope the meds do the trick! Your students must adore you! I bet they will always remember the trecks to the pond and learning about nature while having so much fun! I think you will sleep well tonight!
Hugs!
Cathy G
*****good luck with the corgi...we had one many years ago from a litter born to one of
tasha tudor's beloved dogs. she was really funnny with the kids and all of their friends. she would herd them around the yard and nip at
them if they didn't behave. you'll enjoy the camp wool hook-in...they're very nice and the
coastal house has a very large room plus all of the vendors are great. see you there!!!
blessings on Gus! and I think it is awesome that you took the kids outside! wonderful for all involved -- well done!
Hello Courtney! Big hopes and hugs for Gus. I had a corgi many years ago, and they are the sweetest dogs! I saw a lady walking 4 of them together at the park a couple of days ago. I love your pics. from the pool. Reminds me so much of when I was teaching 6th and we had an outdoor garden with a pond. It was great fun to go down to the pond and check out the new spring life in the water. I love your banner of the eggs!
xo
dulcy
Post a Comment