If you're going to be an avid collector, there are two things you should do: check your home's structural integrity and avoid watching Hoarders on TV.
I have over-done many a collection in the past, and I'm probably over-doing many now in the present! Imagine! I used to collect frogs--I had so many of them. But then, I switched to rabbits (seemed like a logical switch at the time), then I moved onto ceramic elves.
They are still holding strong! Next, I got onto antique bells (now silently awaiting their resell fate in the attic), then vintage flower pots--on ongoing favorite of mine.
I made my good friend Judy promise me she wouldn't let me start collecting flower frogs (a nice combination of frogs and flower pots). But, like any good friend, however, she failed.
Now, it's rug hooks, sheep, carved wooden birds, owls, spooners, and, and, and...well, you see where I'm heading.
Some interesting collections I've had include:
Racehorse memorabilia--yes, I once knew a good bit about horse racing, and loved the little antique game pieces.
Christmas tree pins--I have so many, I can't actually wear one a day during the Christmas season. (There is a support group forming for this one!) My friend Linda used her Christmas tree pin collection to teach dichotomous keys to 5th graders this year!
Bakelite jewelery--I just love it!
Right now, in addition to everything else, I'm collecting gray hairs--children are great at helping you add to that collection!
And wrinkles--smiling and laughing flesh out your set!
And memories~
What do you collect?
Cheers!
Courtney
Friday Freebie Image: Oct 2
5 hours ago
14 comments:
Ha-ha, Courtney! I have that gray hair and wrinkle collection too!
I guess my most precious collectible is cats, though I can't add to it too often.
Then there's looms for weaving, antique samplers, and old photographs. I used to collect lots more stuff but my house seemed to be shrinking and I ran out of space!
I can't collect breakable things because of my above-mentioned first collectible.
Love those bekelite bracelets! They are super.
I am like Weaverpat, I have the gray hair and wrinkles.
You do have some great collections.
I collect milk glass, saucers with flowers on them, ironstone, buttons, thread spools, terrier dog little statues, fabric and wool.
Hi Courtney, I collected everything from decoy ducks, hard plastic 1950's dolls,China dolls,Hatpins, vintage trains . Right now I am just busy putting all my stuff in different places of my house and getting my garden caught up.I am hoping to get our G scale garden railroad running this summer which should be fun!
Well first I loooovvvvee those bracelets. and I do collect, first the gray hair and wrinkles.
Rug hooks,wool,decorating books,pottery, and I could go on and on.
Cathy
I collect antique dog figurines and memorabilia!
Hi Courtney - fcollecting is a disease. I'm very sick with it! Perfume bottles, match strikers, trinket boxes, pudding molds, Bennington pottery and on and on. I also am a member of the gray hair and wrinkles club!
Courtney, this is such a fun post. I'm collecting gray hair and wrinkles too. It seems like a popular collection, lol...
First since I started hooking , I'm collecting friends on Rug Hooking Daily, followers on Of Petals and Wool, wool, worms, collecting wool dust and now dust bunnies. lol. I collect rabbits or bunnies, baskets, can't ever have too many baskets, Christmas decorations like small teddy bears, santas, snowflakes, snowmen, village people for my small Christmas village, Halloween decorations, perennial plants, papers, piles and piles of papers.
Did I mentioned that I'm a hoarder and need a reality check.. JB
Very funny post Courtney. I'm also collecting gray hair, crows feet wrinkles and lately....extra pounds. Lol I also have a frog collection that is getting out of hand. I have tried to stop but people keep giving me them.
Hey Courtney...thanks for writing such a fun post! Along with a few of the same (grey hair/wrinkles), I've collected a few things in my lifetime. Most notably are my collections of collie figurines and labrador (chocolate) figurines. Other collections have included angels/cherubs, rug hooking books & wool. Now, I'm collecting quilting books and cotton fabric. YIKES! {grin} And, of course, friends such as you.
I used to collect cows and like Kim, tried to stop but every time I turned around, someone was giving me a cow! Had to put a stop to that! Just out of high school, I started collecting unusual pens, they got to be too many, so I decided to start using them, and giving them away to my nieces, nephews and friends children. Now I collect wool and like Julia, more often then not dust bunnies, LOL
Courtney ~
I, too, am collecting grey hairs (but only my hairdresser knows for sure...lol!) and wrinkles faster than I like.
I am a collector of too many things to mention!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
Oh Dear Courtney...You are a kindred soul. I would find an easier response had you asked what "don't" you collect. It seems that if I like something, I like "all" of that something - not just one will do me! For the current phases I'm in, it's: chocolate molds; pudding molds; ink sanders/pounce pots; putz sheep (ok, ok - ANY sheep); old wet/sharpening stones; antique sewing clamps; pinkeeps; German rabbit candy containers; old whisk brooms; old wooden spin tops; old baskets; not-so-old baskets; antique silhouettes; leather books; old books; vintage books; old baking soda tins; wood boxes; tin anything....ahhh...my hand tires from typing...How dare you say that "H" word!!
;o) Hugs & Smiles ~ Robin
Sounds like you have a great collection of friends here, Courtney! I'm collecting grey hair too... but I prefer to refer to it as "Nature's Bling"! lol! I do admire your collection of bakelite bracelets and flower frogs! I'm a collector of old glass, wood crates and boxes, unique baskets, wool, thread and hooking/applique/stitching patterns... oh, and I have a few chocolate over-indulgences collected around my waistline too! :-)
Courtney: Do you, by chance, collect darning eggs? If you do, please e-mail me privately. Thanks, Martie
Post a Comment