Thanks everyone for bolstering me up about my finished rug. I considered taking it down and adding an outline to the motif, but then thought...oh, just let it go and move on. It was never supposed to be perfect. It was always supposed to be a learning piece. The beauty is, I'll never run out of wall space, because I'll always be swapping out the old rug for the new! ;-)
I wanted to share with you the latest progress of my young rug hooking group. They really took to the craft and hoard their worms and plan new colors like seasoned rug hookers! Here are some pictures of their work. I'm doing very little guiding...really only coaching them on how to pull the loops, then letting them go to town.
All of these were designed by the girls using the templates I brought with me.
This one was hand-drawn by one of the students. She dances, so she wanted a dancer.
I love this flower with the big petals.
And this one, though you can't tell from the picture, looks almost like proddy it is hooked so high. It's very textured and she is quite proud of it. She works on it during indoor recess and carries it in her backpack everyday!
They hook and talk and make up "who can be the quietest" games...which always ends in a giggle fit!! Every week someone says how much they like it! So, I've created a new wave of rug hookers! The only thing is... I now know way more than I need to about their favorite topic....Justin Bieber!!
Cheers!
Courtney
Friday Freebie Image: Oct 2
5 hours ago
13 comments:
Love love love them. what a great group of rug hookers you have. I love the colors and how creative they are. keep up the good work kids you rock.
cathy
Oh my gosh I cracked up with you last sentence about knowing WAY to much about their favorite topic.....Justin Bieber!!! OMG I can just hear it and I'd have to wear earplugs. He drives me nuts!!!!! LOL Great of you to be so patient and teach young hookers!!
hugs
cyndi
I think it's neat how you are letting them get creative and just guiding..... I did the same with my adult class and I was thrilled watching them go crazy with the wool! And hoarding their worms already...... LOL You are a magnificent teacher!
I think JB is a cutie but the music drives me batty! LOL I can almost hear my mother saying the same thing about the Beatles back then!
Keep us posted on those magnificent creations by the next generation of rug hookers!
Cathy G
Courtney, good for you, you are such a nice teacher having the young girls hooking, I think that's is absolutely brilliant of you. You are passing on a great craft that someday may become their passion.
Are they listening to JB's music as they hook?
I enjoyed seeing your students' creations. I'm sure that they in turn will show someone else how to hook. JB
Courtney ~
What a lucky bunch of students! How kind and thoughtful of you to teach them something they would probably never even hear of.
We need more caring teachers like you!
Hugs :)
Lauren
Courtney - How cool - you are giving them something to bond together with and so great how you are "guiding" them and letting them express themselves! Yes, please keep us updated! Very cool!
How nice!! Wish I had a group to hook with.
WOW, I had no idea you were teaching young girls how to hook. Rugs. How very exciting for them...and rewarding for you. You rock!
My two youngest daughters hook every once in awhile. When Grace was 7 last year she went through a couple weeks where she was hooking like crazy! So fast (yes messy on the back) I kept the critique to myself- she has time to learn to be more careful later on...
Nice for younger people to learn how to hook..you are doing a great thing by doing that; must be an enjoyable time...love the hooking
I am proud of you. Keep up the good work. You are making alot of good memories for you and the girls. Have a good night. Lisa
That is an awesome thing you're doing my friend. You're giving them a gift they will have for a lifetime - even if a few drift away from actual hooking - they will still remember the experience, and the satisfaction of creating something with their hands. (PS - I'm really digging that little dancer...how old are these girls anyway?! Yikes! I'm seeing some talent here!)
Hi Courtney!
First, thanks so much for dropping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. I love this post of yours! When I was teaching 4th grade I taught a couple of my girls to knit. This resulted in the entire class (except for 2) staying in each recess and knitting. I would grade papers and listen to them asking questions such as "how do I bind off?" and "has someone found my #15 needle?" Just so sweet! Your students are doing a wonderful job hooking. Children really love to learn crafts, and such a great way to be creative, socialize, and get away from video games...
xo
dulcy
Post a Comment