Friday, January 6, 2012

WIPs and a New Obsession

Today at work, a colleague asked if we'd been in school for a week.  It's only been four days...doesn't really bode well, I'd say!!  Now, we're starting a betting pool on when the first snow day will be! ~grin~

I've had a busy  and successful week!  I've made two nice sales in my Etsy shop and also sold two skeins of yarn at work as well!  Yippee!  At first, when I opened the shop, I knew that there were lots of yarn makers out there.  But, I kept hanging in there and finally, I'm seeing some results.  It feels so good to make a little pin money on something you love to do. 

I have a new plan to finish some old projects...like these socks.
I only have the toe to go!  I love this yarn.  Boy, this picture makes it look like I made these for a person with bound feet...they do fit, really!

I have been wearing my handknit socks a lot up here!  First off, my heater is not really working in the car, so having wool on the feet is a good thing.  Then, recess is better with warm toes as well!
I have a few skeins of sock yarn in the stash and plan to knit up more pairs.  I love to knit socks.  

I also have a new obsession!  I really didn't need a new hobby...goodness knows I can barely keep up with the rug hooking, spinning, knitting, and penny rug stuff that I currently do!  But, I am now addicted to counted cross stitch.  I've found and printed all the freebie patterns I could find.  (Thanks to all of you generous and talented folk out there!)  Plus, I bought a pattern from Country Rustic Primitives for the Christmas Bowl Filler Ornies.  I fell in love with the photos on her blog and had to have them...had to make them!  Here's my unfinished attempts.
I hope to show you the finishes when I get them done this weekend.  I just love the quiet of this craft.  It's very relaxing.  I love rug hooking...but cutting wool and deciding on color can be daunting sometimes.  Knitting...well, there's the pattern...you have to pay attention!  With this, I can just stitch.
A bit like spinning!   Which, I might add, I need to get back to!!
I get to go for my lovely "I'm 50 years old" colonoscopy on Tuesday, so I have Monday and Tuesday off.  I'll be spending the weekend thinking up a little something for the giveaway...(no, I haven't forgotten!).
Have a super weekend, my friends!

36 comments:

matty said...

The cross stitch is wonderful! And I love the socks. After learning to knit them, I keep a pair in a bag in my purse or back pack all the time. Even a round or two when I can gives me a pair of socks about once a month! They are so wonderful and my not so little feet really Love Them!

Have a great weekend! We start classes on Monday. Guess who hasn't even developed their syllabi?? :)

acorn hollow said...

I did cross stitched a lot in the early years of my life. I am not sure I have the eyes for it any more. I so want to knit socks! I am going to start with a hat and see how I progress. I so glad you are selling yarn it will great money for all of your hobbies.
looking forward to your give away.
Cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

What beautiful socks.Cheri

Hillcresthome Prims said...

Your socks came out sooo wonderful.
I love your post.
I knit when I have the time, baby blankets,booties,little baby hats.

Great job.

Happy knitting,
Tricia

Rugs and Pugs said...

Courtney ~
Love the socks!
I was obsessed with cross stitch for MANY years and then I couldn't see that well. Nearly 20 years later with bifocals and my Ott lite, I am beginning to stitch a bit again. It is SO RELAXING! I'm glad you are enjoying it!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Jane said...

Love your cross stitch! Haven't done any in quite a while, but your pictures make me want to start up again. Congratulations on your yarn business!

Dreaming said...

I, too, used to do cross stitch, but haven't done it in ages. I also want to learn to knit socks. I've done a few mittens before, but haven't ventured to the socks, despite having bought some sock yarn. Maybe this winter!!
Do you use round needles or double-pointed needles?

Joni of Fully Wooly Primitives said...

I did cross stitch years ago and now I am doing it again - but for Island Cottage Needlearts which is another company I have. Don't ask how I got involved in this - but I was approached and it was an interesting concept. I also love to knit socks - I just downloaded a pdf pattern to use up all those scraps. This knitter had a super idea! I'll post it on my blog on the weekend. But rug hooking is what I really love to do! have not tried weaving yet though LOL...it's on my list..:)

Julia said...

Courtney, your socks rocks. I love the pattern and colors. I love cross stitch too and made three cross stitch pieces that I got in frames but it's been a while. I have to use a pair of magnifying thingie on my head so I can see.

Good luck with the colonoscopy. It's not fun but it's not that bad.

Congratulations on your sales. Enjoy your weekend dear friend. JB

Nancy said...

You are a busy girl.....so glad you are selling your yarn; it's beautiful....and socks, yes, I too love knitting socks...there's nothing like wearing hand knitted socks.....I like to keep a pair in my purse so when I have a moment I can knit...they work up fast this way.....

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.....The colonscopy will go quick and you'll be glad you did it....plus have a little free time.....

Patrice said...

wool socks = warm
They look great!

jan said...

Courtney I love those socks! I want to make some but they will be bigger. I've been cross stitching for years, can't seem to buy enough patterns. Have a great weekend. Jan

Farm Girl said...

Don't you just love making Ornies? I love them so much I think because I can do them and have something to show for it. I love that you are having pin money now in your shop. I do love your wool it is beautiful.
I will be praying for you on Monday and Tuesday.
Have a nice weekend. I like your socks.

annie said...

Good for you on the sales! I like those socks! Hope all goes well for you next week, have a good weekend.

Jacque. said...

LOVE the socks!!! Congrats on the sales!

Pom Pom said...

Oh, you'll be just fine during and after your "50th birthday gift" . It's the "before" that is a bit exhausting. Your socks are lovely. I wish I had you at my side to cheer me on. I've yet to finish a sock that looks right. I made a big yellow sock (don't laugh!) that looked like Braveheart might wear it. I do like the smallness of sock projects. I'm going to pop over to your shop!
I pray for snow days. There is NOTHING like the initial news: no school! I'm even happy to shovel the driveway on snow days! Have a great weekend!

moosecraft said...

Wow! You're really going to town with the cross stitch! Looking fantastic!!! Love those sox too... great colors in that yarn! I dread having to ever go for a colonoscopy... it's more because of the "day before prep" rather than the test itself. A day without food and I think i'd pass out... lol!

dulcy said...

Hand knitted socks are the ONLY way to go for me, and yours are gorgeous!! I just used a piece of your wonderful yarn that Jessy gave me to knit and felt a ring. I'll get it posted soon. In fact a friend is on her way over here, and I'm giving it to her for a gift. It felted up beautifully!
xo
dulcy

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

I love to cross stitch!!!
I also love Country Rustics patterns. I stitched up the same pattern your working on. I see she just posted her new Valentine pattern. I have to put that one on my list. Have fun stitchin!!!!
Love the socks!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Delisa said...

Hi Courtney! The socks look great! Your stitching is beautiful and the yarn you chose is looking so nice. You are such a creative and talented person. I love you Etsy shop and have gone over to look at your hand spun yarn several times. You do a great job. I know what you mean about the cross stitching being a "quiet" craft. Crocheting is like that for me. I always have two projects going on at any given time, one that is hard and takes some concentration and then one that I can just pick up and do while I'm watching TV. I agree with Julia, the colonoscopy is not the most fun thing in the world, but it isn't the worst either. The test itself is over before you even realize it. I had mine a couple of years ago. You were very wise to take a couple of day off, it is nice to have a little time to rest afterwards. Have a lovely weekend ahead! Delisa
P.S. A little tip, for getting down all the prep liquid: sometimes taking sips of cold 7 Up once in awhile really helps. :)

Stephanie V said...

Love your socks. You may have noticed that I am obsessed with socks.
I don`t know how you do all those other lovely crafts and work, too!

Saundra said...

Congrats on your Etsy sales, you do have nice yarn.

Socks, yours are pretty. HA! I know how to knit, have knitted with round needlese and the dbl pointed ones for sweater cuffs but dang if I could teach myself how to do socks. Perhaps it was because I tried to do the 'two socks two needles' thing. So gave my varigated wool away. Maybe I just need to do one sock at a time and start at the top and work down instead of at the toe.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I LOVE those socks; what fabulous work and going to be lovely to wear. Your feet will be coddled!

Taos Sunflower said...

Courtney: Glad Etsy is starting to work for you. Love your socks. I, too, love knitting socks. Counted cross stitch is truly addictive...like doing puzzles...have fun!!!

Donna said...

You should put the socks on Etsy, I love hand knit wool socks, however do not knit...The socks are very nice
!

Tolentreasures said...

Haven't knitted for awhile, but my little knitting group is starting up again this week and I have a new cowl pattern that I want to try. Love your socks, they are so nice! I love knitted things that you don't need a pattern for, that is my relaxation!
Have a great week!

Cathy

Rowan said...

I used to do a lot of cross stitch and I'm planning on getting back to it sometime this week. I 'm like you - too many interests and too little time. Love those little primitive bowl fillers, they are the sort of thing I like doing now, have a couple of Christmas ones and a couple of Autumn ones so I think I might try and find some Spring ones to do especially now that I have a wonderful rustic wooden bowl to put them in.
Hope all goes well with your colonoscopy - I'm rather glad that it isn't something that we get done as a routine in the UK!

woolwoman said...

glad to hear you are enjoying stitching - nothing like it ! All my loves (hooking knitting and stitching) all have a place in my life. I usually knit some every day but I have never become enamoured with knitting socks. Love sock yarn mind you but I just don't enjoy knitting socks. Good thing there are a million great patterns for sock yarn on RAV. enjoy! Melody

Isobel -Argante- said...

The cross stitch is wonderful! What a lovely blog, I'm happy to have found you :-)
I'm learning to knit socks, it's difficult!!! :-)

Hugs and nice to meet you!

Isobel
The Primitive Hare

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Courtney, have just joined you bog! Love your socks, and the cross stitch, can't believe you are new to it. I can't tell from the picture, what are you stitching on, linen? I agree counted cross stitch is relaxing, and it doesn't make the horrible wool mess that rug hooking does!
Melinda

Delisa said...

Hi Courtney! I was just thinking about you today and thought I would pop by and say hello! I hope you are having a nice friday. We are having some friends over for pizza tonight and I am making chocolate cupcakes for the kids. We don't have children of our own so I really have fun getting to spoil the little ones when they visit! I also got them some teddy bears and have been sewing pink ribbons on their ears for the girls and making little bandannas for the boy bears! :) It's been a cozy afternoon the whole house smells like chocolate. I hope you have a lovely afternoon ahead, your projects are coming along so beautifully! Delisa :)

Dog Trot Farm said...

Courtney, I hope your colonoscopy went well, I found the prep to be worse than the procedure. It did however take me a long time to look at orange jello again. I just love the socks, I too am a sock gal, but unfortunately for me I have never learned how to make them. Glad to hear your etsy business has begun to make money for you, the yarn you offer is just beautiful. Enjoy this cold weekend, Julie.

Nancy's Notes said...

Those are wonderful looking socks! I love needlework, but I've not learned how to make socks! I can knit a blanket and a scarf, that's it! I can do crewel and have not done it in ages. You are so talented!

Happy I found your blog!

Nancy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Courtney, Congrats on the success of your shop. Love the wool socks! I have never really worn them much. Maybe that's what these old cracky feet need. I use to do alot of cross stitch. Now I mostly embroider. It is very relaxing and I enjoy it. Good luck with your colonoscopy. Been there, done that. Really wasn't bad.
Jann

Yvette in R.I. said...

I love the products you make. You inspire me, Courtney, by working full time, and STILL getting so much done! I'm really enjoying the spinning wheel you talked me into ( I had to blame SOMEBODY!!! LOL!) I love reading your blog, and wish we were neighbors. Have a wonderful week, and stay warm!
Hugs!

Yvette

TheCrankyCrow said...

You put me to absolute shame dear friend. You're working fulltime and hooking, spinning, knitting, and stitching away. Me? Absolutely NOTHING!! I have sock envy - those are absolutely GORGEOUS!! And for someone whose feet are continually cold, they might be just the ticket. (Unfortunately, I'm hard on socks and I'd be afraid of wearing a hole in them after a few wears....) I agree - you should sell some in your Etsy shop. And look at you go on the cross stitch! Certainly don't look like a beginner to me!! Cross stitch was actually the first craft I took up (well, if you don't count sewing/tailoring), and I did tons of it. But then I got addicted to working on linen...and then my eyes challenged me. But I still do it, just not as voraciously....Love those patterns. Glad the colonoscopy is behind you (get it?) ;o) - I don't mind the procedure, but that prep is NASTY!!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin