Monday, August 8, 2011

Sock Genius

I love a knitting project that makes me look ultra talented.  I like people to think I can do multi-colors and different pattern stitches.  But, I also like to keep my sanity.  So, I found this:
If you love a Fair Isle pattern, run, don't walk to your nearest LYS and pick up a couple of skeins of this...because, if you know how to knit--not even purl--just knit, you can do this:
Yes, indeedy...the yarn creates the pattern.  So, choose your most mundane sock pattern and you'll be so thrilled as you knit, and knit, and knit, while the pattern emerges before your eyes.  And yes, you'll be known as "The Sock Genius".  What could be better?  BTW, each sock knits out of each skein in the same pattern.  Now, that's something!

I have to say I took advantage of my dear friend, Judy, who came to visit me in the new house from MA.  I showed her the socks and she didn't believe that the yarn did the work!  I had to unravel several feet from the ball of yarn to prove my point!

We had a wonderful day.  I got up really early and cleaned.  Then put together a quiche with broccoli, tomato, and cheddar for lunch.  Made up a batch of pesto to freeze for later.  Then Judy arrived and we headed out to the local antique store.  I saw a wonderful hutch for the dining room that I could get cheap.  Now, I just need a way to get there tomorrow to pay for it.

I did leave with this, however.  I seem to be in a crock rut.  Is there such a thing?
Isn't it nice?
I have to say, I'm loving it up here in NH.  When we drove up after the jaunt to the antique store, our wild turkeys were out on the front lawn.  It was such fun to show her some of my local wildlife.
I feel fall in the air.  I just ordered a pumpkin/Halloween pattern from Payton Primitives.  I can't wait to hook it!

Please check out the Wooly Red Rug giveaway on my sidebar.  She has some wonderful dyed wool to share with you!

Have a wonderful evening!

21 comments:

cheri back to larkrise said...

How darling, I'll have to tell my daughter about the yarn.The crock is so nice!Wild turkeys your so lucky. I am glad your having a great time in your new home,Cheri

Farm Girl said...

I love, love that crock, it would have went home with me too. It sounds like you had just a very nice day. I love that you had wild turkeys on your lawn when you got home. That is just so very cool.
I am glad you can tell fall is coming. It will be so nice to see how your woods put on their colors.
I am sorry you have stink bugs. I think that is how most people get them is with soapy water, I just had to many. They even started going for the oranges.
I am glad you don't have very many.

weaverpat said...

That is one nice sock! Isn't it amazing how the yarn designer figured it all out? Love it!!!
Beautiful crock! Can't wait to see the hutch.

Saundra said...

Courtney, you gotta be kidding me....socks? Yes, I have done fair aile knitting with the changing of the color and carrying it over; I've done cable stitch but I for the life of me cannot do a pair of socks!!! I tried to do the two socks thing but just coldn't get it.

Okay, yes I understand LOVE the round knitting and prefer that, did it with sweathers and ponchos. But SOCKS?

My hat goes off to you and now you have something to do at a doctor's office during your wait.

Saundra said...

DANG, forgot to ask how Sophie is doing with the family. Obviously it is an adjustment for all pets moving about as they need to learn the new home rules.

acorn hollow said...

fall in the air well now that is a dirty word for sure. love the crock and good luck with the hutch. glad you had your friend up. We had wild turkeys but haven't seen them for some time now. Love the sock but I am sure I could not knit a sock.
Cathy

Dog Trot Farm said...

Hi Courtney, girlfriend don't you know you can never have to many crocks! I love this one, I would not have left it behind either! Sounds like you are settling in nicely at the new home, hope sweet little Sophie is too. I have to mention I can knit, however, am not convinced I could make those darling socks. Hugs from Dog Trot Farm, Julie.

Kim said...

Wow, that is very cool yarn. Impressive looking socks lady!

Jacque. said...

ohhhhh, I am in love! I know how to knit, but have never knit socks...wonder if I should...{grin}. Anyway. AWESOME!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Courtney ~
LOVE that sock. I can knit, but not even increase or decrease and seriously I don't need to learn anything else. I don't have enough hours now for the things I want to hook, punch and cross stitch!
Great crock and make sure you get back for that hutch and share it with us!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

TheCrankyCrow said...

Those socks are AWESOME!! Do you do custom orders??? Seriously....I don't knit and I have no intention of learning...cuz I don't need another addiction and another room of unfinished projects!! Those are just darlin'!! Bet they'll keep the footsies warm on a cold New England night too! And I love your crock..."crock rut?" Nah....no such thing...never heard of it... ;o) Can't wait to see the hutch!! You ARE settling in...and it sounds like such a fun day - good food, good friend, good shopping...What could be better?? How's Miss Sophia doing??? Or should I be asking about Gus??? Wishing you a week of blessings....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by Redo 101 and your very sweet comment - I needed that! When I came to your blog to thank you, I fell in love with it so I'm adding you to my blog reader. It's going to be lots of fun watching life in New England from your perspective - I'll be back often.

Hugs,
Mary

Cathy G. said...

Hi Courtney,
You are on a good roll finding such lovely pieces for your new home! I love that crock! Can't wait to see your hutch!
The sock genius! LOL! Now that would be awesome! I have a thing for wild and crazy socks anyway! Maybe I could try this if I could find that yarn around here!
Sounds like you are getting the nest all feathered and ready for the coming season! Hope Gus and Sophia are accepting the fact that they are going to be roomies for the duration!
Hugs!
Cathy G

Joanne said...

I can't knit to save my life but it's wonderful - that yarn is amazing! Cool crock!

Debra Lloyd said...

I love to knit socks and the self-patterning yarn is the best! It is great to look so smart and talented with very little effort. Glad you are enjoying your new home. It sounds as if it was a good move for you/

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney: Thanks for stopping by...the zucchini fritter pic is up finally-it was to die for; esp with the hot sauce! hehe...I LOVE your new crock...can never have enough of them!! I love the ones with blue designs! Those socks are AMAZING!! I do not knit...really don't like it..was taught once and hated it quite frankly...so if you want to make me a pair sometime-just kidding! :)
can't wait to take a peak around your blog...I'm new a rug hooking-building up supplies but haven't done my first project yet...now that I have the thicker linen...I should be getting to work...I am amazed at those who spin wool....I would like to own a spinning wheel someday though!
Blessings,
patti

Nancy said...

I am so with you on the sock mystery......I have knitted several pairs and people think I am so talented and when I tell them it's the yarn...they said oh yea right.....that yarn makes us look good, uh? The one you have done is wonderful......

It sounds like you had a great day with your friend....I am so glad because girlfriends are priceless.....By the way, love the crock.

Teri said...

Hi Courtney,
Wow ... if I had a LYS I'd go there ... nothing here like that! That yarn looks like it would be so much fun to work with! To watch it unfold before your eyes.
So you are liking N.H. ... it is a pretty place ... We looked to buy there a few years back ... but nothing really in the area we wanted.
Have a great week.
Teri

moosecraft said...

Love that yarn! If I knew how to knit socks, I would be buying many skeins of it! Love the crock too! Looks and sounds like NH is the place to be!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Very pretty yarn! (I don't need another hobby lol)
I'm a crock lover myself. I have a few. would love to add more as the years go on.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...

Your rug is stunning, I think you have just inspired me to pick up a new hobby :) Please link up this and any of your favorite summer blog posts to my "Happy Post" Help spread the cheer :) http://su.pr/1bZ8fp