I started my little elementary school rug hooking program today. It was great. First I showed them a couple of my rugs, then gave them a very brief history of the craft, and walked them through a couple of fun books showing what kinds of designs are out there. I had some patterns from DiFranza Designs and half the group liked those, but the rest were excited to design their own. Here are some of their patterns:
I brought in all my loose worms and they went to town!
One thing I noticed, they had no trouble catching onto the idea of breaking the rules. You can see that the idea of making turquoise hearts seemed to be the right choice. Of course, I'm thinking that I need more pink wool! ;-) They were so happy. In the end, they grabbed a handful of worms and wanted to take the kit home with them until we meet again! Keep that in mind all you folk who are selling wool, patterns, and kits! I'm building your next generation customers! LOL
I'm always so pleased when kids want to know more about the past generation crafts. It's wonderful! It was a great way to end the day!
Cheers!
Courtney
Friday Freebie Image: Oct 2
5 hours ago
8 comments:
It sounds like fun to teach the young generation how to hook. Make sure you show us their finished projects.
Courtney ~
What fun! How old are your students? Keep us posted on their progress.
Hugs :)
Lauren
Isn't it amazing what the kids come up with! It's heartwarming to see they took to it with such enthusiasm! Yes, show I us their projects as they progress!
Cathy G
What a day well spent. Kids can be so excited to learn new things! Good Idea and I am glad that the kids appreciated learning a new craft.
How wonderful you are doing this. I am 41 years old and I still remember learning to crochet in 3rd grade by one of the other teachers and learning to knit in 4th grade by another lady that came in. I loved it so much. I wish I had continued and would love to pick it up again--especially crocheting. I have never learned to hook I know I would love it and I would steal all the pink worms :)
Hugs, Amy
How fun is that?! Kids are always so enthusiastic to try new things!
Kids love hands on and rules are made to be broken when your a kid.
cathy
What an excellent idea, Courtney! I hope you post the finished projects! So cute!!!
Post a Comment