Monday, February 21, 2011

Hooking and Baking

Cozy day today for my first day of vacation.  I managed to check the bread baking off of my list.
I've been using this recipe for about 30 years or more.  Can you tell?

It's a really good, but easy Oatmeal Bread recipe.  It's moist and dense and goes great with chicken salad!

Oatmeal Bread
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 teas. sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 teas. salt
1/4 cup brown sugar (I cut this with about 1/8 c. molasses; it makes all the difference)
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold water
5 1/2 cups flour

Place yeast, sugar, and warm water in cup.  Set in a warm place until spongy.  Combine shortening, salt, brown sugar/molasses, and oatmeal in a large bowl and add boiling water.  Stir until shortening is melted.  Add cold water.  Add yeast mixture.  Add flour gradually, kneading until dough is stiff.  Knead until smooth.  Place in a greased bowl.  Cover, let rise until double in bulk.  Punch down and shape into 2 loaves.  Cover, let rise in greased pans.  Bake at 375 degrees until brown.  (30-45 minutes)

I also got some work done on my rug.
Have a wonderful evening folks!
Courtney

7 comments:

acorn hollow said...

What a perfect day. I am sitting at work reading blogs. It is a nice day to tuck in and just be home.
cathy

Melaine said...

Enjoy your vacation Courtney, and I hope you can cross EVERYTHING off your list. Bread looks yummy.
Melaine

Cathy G. said...

I was thinking just recently that I should bake some bread one of these days! That recipe sounds delicious. I may have to try it!
You're making good progress on your rug!
Cathy G

Rugs and Pugs said...

Courtney ~
Your rug looks wonderful. Love the combination of background colors.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Courtney, That bread looks good. I think I am going to give it a try sometime. Your getting alot done on your rug!

Jacque. said...

The bread looks/sounds delicious! You're doing a great job on the rug! Nice to see your work!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

HOpe your enjoying your vacation. The bread looks yummy!
Very nice rug and glad your finding time to pull some loops!