Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gifting

I love pulling together birthday gifts for a friend.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  When you have a good friend, the possibilities are endless.  My friend Linda and I are so alike, it's really like shopping for myself!  Her birthday is Saturday, but I'll bring her presents tomorrow.  She is my best friend, but she also works in my classroom as my teaching assistant.  I am very blessed.  So, this is the woman who got me interested in rug hooking and showed me how to pull my very first loop!  I have delved into the wool dyeing realm before her though, so I found this dye book on Ebay and snatched it up for her.
It's my favorite book by Barbara Carroll and Emma Lou Lais called Antique Colours for Primitive Rugs.  In fact, it's my main dye book right now, though I will delve into Karen Kahle's books soon!

Today was a crazy day, with an "animal tracking" field trip through 2 to 3 feet of snow.  Picture 25 kids, 20 degree temps, and hard crusty icy snow.  I am heavy enough that when I step on the crust, I sink down over my knees.  My kind of fun! ;-(
So, I treated myself to a trip to the local antique store on the way home from work where I found more gifts for my friend.
These were the cutest little napkin rings in the shape of happy birds.  She is a big Fiesta ware fan and the colors of the birds go well with that.  I added some linen napkins...and look forward to using both the next time we have dinner at her house!

Finally, I'm adding one of my pincushions to the mix.
I'll throw one of these into the bag as well.  I just took little glass containers, added buttons inside, then glued on the fabric pin cushion.  Fun.

When you shop for your friends, you also shop for you!  I found two things that I couldn't live without!
A little pine box.  And...

This adorable bird applique picture!!  Of course I could have made it myself, but it was so sweet and Springy I had to have it after slogging through the snow.  It's all about the reward!

In closing...I just reached my 20th follower mark and I am thrilled!  I appreciate this wonderful community so much!  Thanks for stopping by everyone!
Courtney

7 comments:

Cathy G. said...

Your friend should feel extra special and loved! What neat gifts!
The dye book is one of my all time favorites too!
Congrats on that 20th follower! You have a really nice blog!
It's good to see you rewarding yourself..... we don't do enough of that!
Cathy G

Rugs and Pugs said...

Courtney ~
Congrats on #20. I still get excited with each new follower.
What great gifts for your friend ~ and for yourself.
I have not yet tried dyeing wool, but I have purchased that dye book.
Hugs :)
Lauren

The Barn Door said...

Love the applique picture! Congts on your 20 followers! I get so excited when I get a new one, but still can't figure out why anyone would want to follow me anyway!!!
Karen

acorn hollow said...

You are getting followers so fast! I had to wait 6 months for 20 I think. Love the gifts. she doesn't read your blog? I use that dye book when I dye which isn't often.
Stay warm
cathy

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, Courtney. While I do not dye myself, I admire the beautiful colors that people produce. You have a VERY lucky friend and I do love the gifts you bought for yourself.....
Have a wonderful day....trudging through the snow...so are we..... :) :)

Joanne said...

What wonderful gifts for your friend - she is lucky to have you! I just love shopping and finding that special treasure for someone - wish I was made of money so I could afford to be more generous! Finding stuff for yourself is fun too! Way to go on your followers!

Tammy Burks said...

What great gifts! Don't you just love crunching through the snow?!