Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Local Rug Hooking Shop

I am happy to report that I have found a source for my rug hooking!  It is literally 10 minutes from my work (dangerous) and about a half an hour from the house.  It's called Wool and Goods and it is in Rollinsford, NH.  What a beautiful place with wool for hooking and braiding, penny rug supplies, and some stitchery kits and yarn.  Plus, bits of antiques for sale.  I was in heaven!

I managed to pick up a couple of things.
Some beautiful wool.  A really pretty rosy colored bunch.  Like I don't have enough wool!

And a cute little penny mat pattern which was on sale.

I also got a nice cushy cover for my Puritan Floor frame.  I have not really used it much because I hate the way the gripper strips rip up my wrists, but I find that the cover helps and when there's a lot of rug done, it covers the sharp spines, too!  So, I've been breaking in the frame this week and made quite a good deal of progress on my rug.  Remember this one?  The one before the calico cat rug?  Well, I've managed to get round another good corner!

This rug really shows how my skills are changing.   (I'd like to say growing...but I'm not sure there's that much growth!)  As I make progress, I think I'm hooking at a more consistent loop height.  Plus, someone mentioned at the Camp Wool Hook In that rounding those scalloped corners means you shouldn't hook tightly.  I'm trying to follow that as I continue.  Wish I'd known that for the first set of scallops!  LOL
I still like the colors, though.  Doesn't really go with the home's color scheme, but I'll find a place for it!
It's gotten hot here again in New Hampshire.   Stay cool out there folks!

22 comments:

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Courtney, how wonderful you found a local shop!
I'm thinking your car will be programmed towards that direction, so you better be alert :). Love what you brought home and your rug is looking wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Courtney,
How nice to have such a great wool shop near by...and antiques.... a wonderful discovery! Nice progress on your rug (love the colors)...I'm sure you'll find a special spot for it in your new home. I've been hooking a bit too although the heat makes it rather uncomfortable. A hot week ahead....stay cool!
Cindy in ME

Rugs and Pugs said...

Courtney ~
I can't believe you've just moved and you have found time for hooking. Good for you! The rug is looking good. Please keep us posted on your progress.
A rug shop so close could be dangerous, but oh how I wish there was one near me!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Farm Girl said...

How awesome to have a wool store so close to your house. I have yet to find any wool places and have to buy everything online. I think your rug hooking looks very good. I hope you can stay cool.

Cathy G. said...

Courtney,
It's good you have your priority's straight.... finding that wool shop before you are completely settled in lol! That's the sign of a dedicated hooker! Your rug looks really good and I bet you are finding a rhythm to your hooking now!
I hook when it's hot but not for long periods of time!
Keep us posted on what's happening at that wool shop!
Cathy G

The Barn Door said...

Oh lucky you to have a place so close by!!

Gayle said...

Lucky you to have a shop so close-by! We have a couple quilt shops that sell wool off the bolt for $72/yd (YIKES) and a couple gals who sell wool out of their homes, but that's about it for us here in Utah.

Joanne said...

I was thinking the same thing as Lauren - you found time to hook - it looks really good - I've been hooking for 7 years and I have to work on hooking not as tight - I think I'm doing much better than I used to after looking at my earlier rugs. Good going finding a local shop - you are lucky!

acorn hollow said...

I am with lauren You are hooking and shopping for wool just after you moved you go girl. I have been to that shop a couple of time and orderer from them once. They have drop in hooking on sundays I believe in the fall. Which would be a great way to meet other hookers in the area. I on the other hand have not pulled a loop.
Does not matter the colors it all goes when you are dealing with antiques.
cathy

bobbie said...

Courtney...how wonderful for you that you have such a nice rughooking shop so close to your home! Beautiful wool and I love your rug..I think your hook just fine...it's all in the enjoyment and then of course, you learn things along the way. I need those darn arm guards for my frame too. I always look like I got into a cat fight and the cat got the best of me!

Kim said...

Great to find a new shop close to you. Yes, I smell danger! LOL Have fun wool shopping.

Alyssa said...

I wish you sold these!! You do amazing work!!! ;) Congrats on your new discovery-Alyssa of Boston Bee

weaverpat said...

I really like that rug! The colors are lovely. What a happy discovery of a wool shop nearby. It's such an inspiration to feel the wool and admire the colors!

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

Glad you are settling in and hooking!

Sarah

Taos Sunflower said...

You're so lucky to have a hooking store nearby. I doubt there's even one in NM. Love those rosey wools you got, and the pattern, and your WIP. Seems like you're all settled...congratulations!

TheCrankyCrow said...

WooHoo!! You didn't waste any time Girlfriend!! I lived next to a rug designer for years (which in Nod, is a very, very, odd thing) and didn't even know it! You would have thought I would have been able to smell the wool from here....but nah.... So glad you found a fun place for your fixes, and got to do some hooking - has to be feeling like hooking now. Think I need me some of those guards....will have to search online I guess....I, too, look like I just lost a cat fight after a good night of hooking (which hasn't happened recently!!) Your hooking is looking lovely - so even and smooth as glass...I still struggle with hooking too tight...guess it's the Type A personality thing....Try a glass of wine first.... ;o) Have a wonderful week! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Julia said...

Courtney, I'm glad that you have found a hooking supply store near your work but it can be a bit dangerous. You need a dose of great will power to keep from buying too much eye candy.

Your rug is looking good.

I better get to bed, it's way past my bedtime. It's 12:20am.. Good night. JB

newburyarts said...

*****saturday, july 23 there will be rug hooking at ocean park with the tin pedlar group. this is also an antique fair at which
members will be demonstrating hooking. bring your hook and rug to meet the fellow maine
rug hookers. they will be on temple avenue on the porch at the temple. ocean park is just below old orchard beach and not far from where you now live.

cheri said...

Courtney your amazing . I love the rug your working on great colors!!!!!

Teri said...

Hi Courtney,
Wow! How lucky are you to have a shop so close by! I wish i had ANYTHING close by,
You rug is looking good ... And I am sure you will find plenty of places for it .... And if not, they may be one or two people who will be willing to take it off your hands! LoL :)
Have a great week,
Teri

Debra Lloyd said...

Glad to see that you are getting settled in your new home--and even better found a rug hooking shop so close by! Lucky you.
Is your Gus a Cardigan? Our funny Lucy is a Cardi--they are such sweethearts.

Kelly said...

I wanted to stop by and thank you for being so supportive of my new blog! Your comments are always so motivating!

I have to mention that I have been knitting for a while but wasn't sure I was familiar with rug hooking.. Until I saw this picture! You wouldn't believe.. I used to do these for 4-H when I was younger! I remember really enjoying it and you have inspired me to try this again!

Kelly@The East Barn