Friday, July 8, 2011

Finally Arrived and Finally Cable Ready!

Wow!  What a process moving has been.  Our "moving" story will curl your hair!  We've been here for a week now, but I just got cable, phone, and internet service yesterday.  The withdrawals were unpleasant, to say the least.  Most of all, I couldn't even keep up with all of your blogs...I'm so far behind!

It's good to be here, finally.  We were scheduled to have the movers come last Thursday early in the morning with the hope of having the truck packed by 10 am.  At that point, the new owner could do her walk-thru and our money would be wired to our closing.  Well, things really didn't go as planned.  Please skip to the end if you don't like to read long sagas...

We knew that once the movers packed the truck, there would be no way to have them wait for our closing, which was scheduled for noon, and deliver up in NH that afternoon, so we put the mattress in a rented van and filled the rest of the van with all our paintings and boxes of food and such.  The movers were going to hold the furniture overnight.  At 9 am the movers called to say they were running late.  Our van was packed at this point.  I'm still trying to tie up loose ends...like my husband's clothes, which he rather forgot to pack...needless to say, they were tossed into large garbage bags and thrown in the van.  My FIL, who is 84, was on-hand to help me and I was literally delegating stuff to him left and right.  I might have lost my mind had he not been there...bless his heart!

At 11 am, the movers call again to say that the truck broke down and they would be there later in the day.  So, now we have a house full of furniture, except the mattress, no walk thru happening, and our closing is in one hour.  We were panicked.  The realtor said to go ahead with a "dry" closing, meaning we weren't bringing all of our funds.  So off we go, leaving Dad in charge to wait for any sign of the movers. 

At the closing, they discover that we had to have two different bank checks cut for our portion of the closing costs.  The first one my husband got the night before, but then at 8 that evening was told they forgot the water bill, so before we went to the closing, he returned that bank check and got another one.  Only he also took out an additional $100 and the mortgage people wanted to know why.  I'm at the closing lawyer's office explaining that maybe he wanted to put gas in the van, get a burger...

The worst thing was that when we tallied up all the closing costs, we knew we'd be short money, but we also knew that my final paycheck would be a big one because it is the pay for the entire summer.  So, we knew we'd use that to make up the difference.  However, the mortgage underwriters didn't have that money info on their application, so in the middle of closing, they are wondering where we got the money from and could we please "source" that.  That's their favorite word...source.  So, I had to use the secretary's computer, go into my bank account, print out the deposit record showing that it came from a paycheck, copy our savings book showing the deposit and subsequent withdrawal, and fax that to the underwriters.  We were there for 3 hours proving we had enough money to buy the house.  And we didn't get it from our Mommies or Daddies.  However, without the wired money from the sale, we could get no key.

Back to the old house we go and by now, the movers are there.  It was 4 in the afternoon.  They loaded up the truck, but because they rented a U-haul truck, not everything fit.  So they'd be back in the morning to get the rest.  By now, the mattress is buried under much stuff in the van.  The house is empty, it's bed time, we are exhausted, and there's no bed.   Have I mentioned it's also our 4th wedding anniversary?   I pull some blankets out of the van, make a little bed on the bare living room floor, and we settle down to a night of sheer torture!  I don't recommend sleeping on hardwood.  Or should I say lying there trying to turn a battered body over when one side goes numb.

The next morning, the movers come to take away the rest of the stuff.  I'm cleaning up last minute things and we are desperate for the new owner to do her walk thru.  However, she's not comfortable until we are actually gone.  We need her to do it quickly or the money won't be wired in time and we won't get in at all.  Plus, now it's Friday and the start of the July 4th weekend.  We are eager to get out of the way and we do at about 9 am.  She does the walk thru and the transfer is sent.   But, hours go by...10, 11, 12 noon...the title company still hasn't received the transfer...no sign of it.  By now my husband is calling everyone who had anything to do with this and yelling at them--a lot.  We are hanging tight over at his folks house...waiting.  I'm crying and trying not to be sick.  We have no place to go, we haven't slept, no shower, still in filthy clothes from the day before.  It wasn't pretty.  Finally at 2 pm, the money goes through and we can go get the keys.  Which we do in record time and meet the movers at the new house. 

Later that night, I think it's about 6:30 and hubby and I are enjoying our first meal of soup and toast...when he tells me it's actually 9:30 at night. 

Despite everything, we are thrilled to be here and we're settling in.  Gus has a new lease on life here...he loves all the scents and the open space.  He even wanted to play with his football last evening!
There's the living room fireplace with my spinning wheel!  I found my rug and unpacked it with the hope of pulling some loops in between unpacking! 

Next up...getting a car!
Ta for now folks!

22 comments:

woolyredrug said...

Courtesy, my thoughts have been with you. So glad that chapter is behind you and now you can get on to enjoying your new home! Looking forward to following your journey.

Amy McPheeters said...

Wow! Your story is unbelievable - but I believe every word of it! We are listing our home for sale next week and your exoerience almost makes me change my mind about doing that. It's all behind you now so enjoy!

Linda said...

Oh, Courtney........skip to the end and not read the juicy middle of your post........never!
I am so happy that everything finally worked out for you. but, I am scared of ever thinking of moving again!
Enjoy your Summer.
Linda

acorn hollow said...

Holy Cow! Yikes you had a trial of it. Glad you are in and getting settled I am also glad that you have the rest of the summer to enjoy your new home.
cathy

Cammie said...

Courtney I am so glad that things worked out, but the stress of it all! We just sold our house, so now the inspections and hopefully all that goes well! Can't wait to see pics of your cute house when you get everything unpacked!!

Farm Girl said...

Oh I am so glad you are in, why is that moving is always like that? I have heard of people who moved without a hitch but I have never met any.
I bet your are exhausted but I love the picture with your spinning wheel in front of the fireplace. I am glad you are finally home.
I look forward to more of your story. And lots of pictures. :) I think your new house looks just perfect to hook rugs from.
Thanks so much for the update, I have been so worried about you.
Hugs,
Kim

Sweet Sue said...

YAY, wishing you all the best in your new home, with new car and at your new job, Happy Anni too! Now... carry on my friend:)

weaverpat said...

You've already made the house look like a home with the spinning wheel at the fireplace. How lovely!
I'm so glad Gus is already loving his new home.
Thank goodness you got the closing-from-H3## over with before the July 4th weekend! What is with that, wanting to know where every cent came from??? I think that's demanding disclosure beyond necessity. Do they think people go out and rob banks to buy a house???
I'm thankful you made it safely and the worst is over. Enjoy decorating and arranging your furniture.

Cheri back to larkrise said...

Courtney, Your spinning wheel looks perfect next to the fireplace.It looks like my ashford. A lot of new things in your life. Can hardly wait to hear about your new adventures. Cheri

The Barn Door said...

I can feel for you Courtney!!!! Nothing ever goes as simply as it seems it should, but in the end it is all worth it! Your new place is lovely and Gus does look happy!

Julia said...

Courtney, I'm so glad that you now have all this behind you. I don't understand why they like to make people suffer like that. Arn't they professional who have done this day in and day out and can tell you exactly what they expect. This is so unprofessional. It's like they Lord it over everyone and like to make people squirm so they can control people more.

I hope that your family can help you a bit to get over the start up unexpected costs.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog.

I so hope that you will be happy in your new home and job. Wishing you peace of mind and contentment and a good l-o-n-g sleep.

So glad that Gus is finding the house to his liking. He's probably so happy to see things returning to normal and the stress diminished.

Hugs, JB

Taos Sunflower said...

Courtney: What a hair raising time you had. Happy it all has a happy ending. Honestly, sometimes isn't it a wonder that anything ever works right at all? We refinanced our home a few years back, and after the new loan company was supposed to have paid off the old one, we were still getting billed. It took my DH about 2 months of daily calls to Mortgage Co. #1, and finally calling their corporate legal department, to discover that yes, indeed, they had received the payout from our new loan company, but had no idea whose money it was. So...for two months we had to make double payments. What a nightmare! I can't recall the name of the guilty company, but it was one of the first to fall in the recent financial crash. Who said life could ever be simple??? Anyway...congrats on your new abode!!! Happy summer!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh Sweetie!!! So good to hear from you again - we've missed you! And I thought of you so much!! Welcome HOME!!! And, happy belated anniversary! That truly does sound like an ordeal and a half....I remember going through the "sourcing" issue 23 years ago like it was yesterday!!! It just blew my mind that I had to prove that the money we were using for the downpayment was from my sale of my Jeep, and not the money my DH put in the account for our wedding. Really???!! Anywhohow - it must feel SOOOO good to be there...a couple of months of summer ahead of you to unpack it make it YOURS!! I LOVE your fireplace - and the spinning wheel in front is absolute perfection....This house is gonna be something spectacular!! Glad Gus is adjusting!!! Enjoy your time now - put the nightmare to sleep (preferably on a cold hardwood floor....) ;o) Thanks for checking in!! Smiles & Big Hugs ~ Robin

Tammy Burks said...

It's got to feel great to finally be in your new place.....hope it goes smooth for you from here on out!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Courtney, your new home is simply charming! The spinning wheel by the fireplace...how perfect. Looking forward to viewing more house photos once you have settled in. BTW, Gus looks right at home! Yes, you certainly have earned a good nights sleep! Have a restful weekend, Julie.

Jacque. said...

Oh Courtney. You poor thing. It's like a thriller with all the twists and turns and plot changes. I am sooo happy that it all worked out in the end.

camp and cottage living said...

Oh my gosh! What a nightmare. I've moved over 16 times and never had such a trying experience.
But I have to say that your new home(at least the wee glimpse of it) looks like it was worth all the headaches to get.
That is a fireplace one only dreams of having!
Enjoy your new home!
Blessings-Kimberly

Teri said...

Courtney,
Wow! I remember those days. UGH! But you are in ... have a BEAUTIFUL home and a new life! And just think ... in 6 months you will be laughing about all of it.
Can't wait to see it furnished.
What town did you actually end up in?
Have a great weekend.
Teri♥♥♥

Alyssa said...

Love those wide pine floors! Cute little doggy too ;). That spinning wheel is gorgeous! Please give a home tour when you are done unpacking!! Would love to see it! Have fun decorating! Theee best part! ;)Alyssa of Boston Bee

Rugs and Pugs said...

Courtney ~
So glad you are in! You've had a whirlwind few months. I look forward to seeing MANY pictures of your new home.
Hugs :)
Lauren

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Seeing your spinning wheel in front of that beautiful fireplace makes it all worth it. Your new home is charming.
kim

Joy Tilton said...

Many moves under our belt, so I sympathize with a captital S!!! Love your new home, it's perfect!